1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer keeps rebooting (red light on motherboard)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by YourLastHope, Sep 11, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. YourLastHope

YourLastHope Thread Starter

Hey currently i'm having a problem with my computer, its a 1 year old custom built computer.

Yesterday, my computer randomly shutdown while I was working on it and it kept on rebooting endlessly.
    Only the fans start spinning for a short time then a red light shows up on my motherboard and it reboots again. This proces keeps on going.

I ve searched on the internet for solutions and tried some things like clearing the cmos but without any succes.
    I was thinking that it might have something to do with the PSU but im not sure on how to check this and i wouldnt want to buy a new part without knowing it will fix my pc.
    If you need more details about the type of hardware in my pc just ask.

A picture of the red light is in the attached files

Attached Files:

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, you are posting in a hardware forum and no one [other than you] has any idea what hardware you are running. Post ALL of your exact system specs; ie exact motherboard, exact processor, exact pw supply, etc, etc. Do not post "500W pw supply" Post the exact brand and model# Do that for ALL of your parts.

3. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    The motherboard User Manual will tell you what the red LED indicates.

4. YourLastHope

5. YourLastHope

It seems to be that the light of the CPU is on which means there is something wrong with the CPU

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Processors seldom fail; in fact they are pretty hard to hurt unless you physically damage them when installing OR overclock/overvolt them.
    Start with some basic troubleshooting. Do the following;
    1 System OFF, open the case. Pull the pw connectors from ALL drives; both hd and optical
    2 Pull out any add-in cards ie sound, nic, etc. Pull out your video card and connect the monitor to the onboard port on the motherboard. Note there is a latch or release you must push to remove the video card
    3 Reseat your ram; ie pull it out and reinstall. Be sure it is fully seated in the slot or slots
    4 Reseat both atx and aux pw connectors
    5 Clear cmos with the clear pins. Most gigabyte boards do not use a jumper; they use two pins that you short with a small screwdriver. Read your motherboard manual

Now pw ON and see if the motherboard will complete POST. If so, shutdown and start connecting devices one at a time until you find the failed part. If the board will not POST, then you will need to swap parts with known good units; ie pw supply, motherboard, ram, etc.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

FWIW if your board does not POST in the above condition, I would suspect first the pw supply, then the motherboard. Pw supply is very easy to test. Connect a known good pw supply to the board ie just atx and aux pw connectors. Hit the ON button and see if it will POST.

8. YourLastHope

The clearing CMOS has the same effect if i just remove the CMOS battery for a while right?

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is better if you use the jumper. If you really want to pull the battery, then remove the pw cord from the back of the pw supply. Hit the ON button 2~3 times; this removes any residual charge from the pw supply capacitors. Now remove the battery for at least 10min then replace. Again using the jumper is the "Proper" way to clear cmos.

10. YourLastHope

Its because i dont have a jumper cap here that I wanted to remove the CMOS battery instead

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You do not need a jumper; use a small screwdriver or even the tip of a ballpoint pen.

12. YourLastHope

So i just have to connect both pins with the tip of a screwdriver for how long?

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Have you read your manual? IF you had read it, you would see on page 19 the answer to your question. Again read your manual first. The answer is a few seconds.

plodr likes this.
  14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1232820

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice