Computer keeps restarting/freezing!!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mikevickrulz

Hello, I recently got a new computer but have run into some problems. My computer will often restart automatically on its own, and not sometimes it freezes and i have to restart manually. I frequently run ad-aware and spy bot s+d and erase all problems found. The problem usually occurs when i try to play a song or a video clip in WMP. It usually will get through maybe a minute or 2 in the song and then just restarts. I have seen others with the same problem, but I'm not sure if anyone has found a solution. Some seem to think it could be memory related, so here is my memory situation: My MB has 3 motherboard slots, and each is occupied with 256MB DDR PC2100 sticks. I have tried using just 1 stick, 2 sticks, and then moving them around, but still nothing. I ran Hijack This, here is the log below..Please if any expert on this could look it over and maybe tell me if there is a problem and what to fix, i would appreciate it muchly! Thanks in advance...

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 4:27:26 PM, on 13/09/2004
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! 3\MsgPlus.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MessengerPlus3] "C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! 3\MsgPlus.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MessengerPlus3] "C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! 3\MsgPlus.exe" /WinStart
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PopUpStopperFreeEdition] "C:\PROGRA~1\PANICW~1\POP-UP~1\PSFree.exe"
O16 - DPF: {2BC66F54-93A8-11D3-BEB6-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec AntiVirus scanner) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedContent/vc/bin/AvSniff.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.c...ls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1094950549420
O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedContent/common/bin/cabsa.cab

etaf

Wayne
i am no expert at HJT - so wait for a guru to answer regarding your log.

however, in the meantime

1) is the CPU getting hot
2) goto
control panel>
system>
advanced tab>
startup and recovery - settings>
under the title - system failure
untick - automatically restart

now when it crashes the blue screen should stay on the screen
post the info on the screen
it will give the eroorcodes and a filename, if caused by a driver.

3) you may want to try running a memory test - 2 below
http://www.memtest86.com/
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

4)you may also find some info in the event viewer
control panel>
admin tools>
event viewer>

to try an avoid confusion - post when you do the above

mikevickrulz

I have a case that displays the temp right on the front. Its usuallu between 80-100 fehrenheit. The thing is tape to the bottom of the heat sink. I will try those memory tests when i get home, hopefully it works. I havent had it restart or freeze in about 12+hours. But as soon as I go to play a song its going to screw up, I know it. As for the event viewer, what kind of information would i be looking for? Oh, and I had already unclicked the "automatically restart" but I cant remember if it has restarted since then. But the blue screen never shows up and i dont get any error codes.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts