Computer keeps restarting on boot up

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Euphoric

When i turned my computer on the other day a blue screen came up saying 'fatal system error', it just froze on this screen so i had to turn the computer off by the switch. Now when my computer is booting up it just keeps restarting itself just after the windows xp pro loading screen. Before the computer restarts there is a clicking noise.

I have tried re-installing windows, running the repair option on the windows xp pro disc and starting windows in safe mode but none have worked.

Also when the computer does memory testing on boot up the numbers just keep going round and round about three times unitl finally displaying the amount of memory it should do. This never used to happen before.

Specs

AMD Athlon 1ghz
128MB Ram
Windows XP Pro

Can anybody help me please?

sy2

Do you remember any specifics about the original error? Was a filename included, any numbers, anything helps really.

Also, did you make any changes to your computer before this happened - new software, hardware, etc...

Off the bat, I would open the case, make sure all cards and RAM are seated correctly and try again. If that doesn't work, maybe try removing some of the sticks of RAM and try different combinations in the slots to see if anything works.

sy2

Also, have you tried creating a boot disk to see if you can access the command prompt so you can run a checkdisk/scandisk?

If not, check out www.bootdisk.com

Euphoric

I haven't installed any new hardware or software. The original error message was a blue screen which said 'fatal system error' and then had alot of 0's and letters after it.

This problem all started happening when my computer was shutting down it just froze, so i had to turn it off by the switch. Then when i turned my computer back on it gave that error message. And know everytime i turn my computer on it just keeps restarting itself on boot up. I've had to turn the computer off by the switch numerous times because off it crashing on shut down.

I've been told that the hard drive might have failed (hope not). I'm running scan disk now, would scan disk operate if the hard drive had failed?

Thanks for your help!

sy2

If you're running scandisk now then it booted up, right? Are you making these posts from the problem computer?

If so, write down the exact error message next time you get the blue screen, or take a screen shot if you can, and post it here.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online