1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer keeps retsarting

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by SMITh2994, Apr 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SMITh2994

SMITh2994 Thread Starter

Howdy all

I have an XP machine that keeps restarting as soon as Windows starts to load. It won't boot into safe mode either. I've reset the bios, changed the data cable, changed the ram, cleaned it out. I changed the hard drive and started to install Windows and thought the old drive was the problem since Windows started to install without a hitch. As soon as the computer restarted the first time, the rebooting started all over again. I've been going through a bunch of forums and can't find an answer for it. I'm stumped, any ideas?

Thanks

Roy

2. rodeognome

rodeognome

Open Case of PC

Feel the heatsink - is it hot to the touch?

Do you have alot of dust in your case?

3. SMITh2994

SMITh2994 Thread Starter

Not the problem, ran fine while booting from the cd

4. rodeognome

rodeognome

ok this narrows it down the.

I would say its one of three things.

1) A Loose CPU - you know the clips that keep the heatsink fan in place make sure these are snug

2) A failing CPU - sure it might be able to take the load of a boot cd but cannot handle Windows.

3) Bad Capacitors on your Motherboard

Please let post back on your findings...

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

6. SMITh2994

SMITh2994 Thread Starter

What puzzles me is that the computer worked perfectly while installing Windows. As soon as it boots from the hard drive after the first restart the loop starts all over again.

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

Sounds like for whatever reason you failed to setup the mbr. Why not boot to cd choose "R" for recovery Console and from the prompt type in fixboot thyen hit enter then type in fixmbr and hit enter again.

8. SMITh2994

SMITh2994 Thread Starter

Never had to set up the mbr, and to have the same problem on 2 different hard drives? I'll try it though.

Thanks for the replies guys.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!