1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Keeps Turning Off

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cildaten, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cildaten

Cildaten Thread Starter

Recently a computer in a different room was giving me problems. It kept turning off on me, usually within a minute after booting up... Sometimes I got to the desktop but then it would turn off.
    So I put it in my room to work on it, and I thought I fixed it. I left it on for days in my room... no problems.
    I put it back in the other room and within a minute it did it again.
    I thought it was the power cable but I switched it with the one in my room and still the same problem. So I tried the surge protector, same problem. The power supply is fine, as I tested it earlier. I Plugged the surge protector in a different outlet, still the same problem. Also, everything plugged into the surge protector and everything plugged in, in the room works fine.
    You think the problem exists in the circuitry in the room or might there be a computer problem?

Computer Specs for the computer are pretty outdated. Its an old custom built computer, for work purposes. Its around 6 years old. But as it worked in my room, I don't think it should be an issue.

-Thanks

2. spdabbs

spdabbs

I would check the CPU temp in BIOS. Just switching off is usually due to overheat.

3. Cildaten

Cildaten Thread Starter

I Just remembered.. and I dunno if this a big deal or anything but... When the computer was in my room, instead of using the monitor from the other room, I was using the monitor in my room. The monitor in the other room is pretty old and if moved, it shorts out and the screen goes black until I move it back. So yea :confused:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594084

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice