1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer keeps turning off?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nav2009, Jan 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nav2009

nav2009 Thread Starter

My computer turns off, a while after it is turned on. My computer's a pentium D, and initially i thought it was something o do with the cpu, i cleaned the heat sinks and cleaned out the copper dome, i dusted everything with a brush, except i used a vacuum for hard to reach places. I ran the computer with half the casing missing, so i could see what's going on.
    I felt everywhere for heat, and it turns out that the power supply is fine and it is in fact my graphics card (Geforce 7600) was extremely hot, but i'm not too sure if something else is causing the problem. I can't get into windows beacause it shuts off before i even have a chance, please help me, do i need to replace someparts or do i need a new hard drive?
    All fans are functioning properly, none are clogged with dust.

2. jazz3000

jazz3000

If you boot into your bios is your system doing the same thing? Shutting off? Jazz

3. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

If you leave it off for a couple of hours before turning it back on and the result is it stays on longer than it did when you switched it back on just after it went down, it is probably a heat issue.

4. CapriAnupam

CapriAnupam

Maybe a overheating problem. Had u taken out the heatsink of the CPU to clean it? Do check if its seated properly on the CPU, and is not loose.
    Ensure that the video card is seated properly, and if it has a fan, make sure its running.

Check all the connections to your motherboard, and other devices.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/786461

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice