Computer lag.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

powerfulsquid

new member here and im hoping someone can help me out with this problem. everywhere i else ive been people havent been able to help me out. well ill try my best to explain my problem.

about a month ago i tried to install freebsd but something went wrong and somehow i wrote over my two HDs and freebsd didnt even install. well, i got windows 2000 back up and running and now all of a sudden when i run some programs at once, my computer will lag. if youve ever played half-life online and you have lagged real bad, you know, with a ping in the 1000s, it feels like that. i would move my mouse and about 20 seconds later, it will move on the screen. the only way it goes away is if i restart and this happens about 2-3 times a day and usually right in the middle of doing something that i havent saved yet and its very aggravating. right off the bat someones probably going to say i dont have enough memory or anything. well i have 448mb of ram and the programs that are running when it happens are usually photoshop, frontpage,aim,napster some IE windows and sometimes i will have illustrator running, not always.

this is what ive tried so far but havent seem to work.
first, i reinstalled windows. then i formatted and reinstalled windows. then i switch the IDE slots between my two HDs on my controller card which is a promise ultra 100, if that helps. then i just took out the 2nd HD cable and kept it out (its still out right now). then i took the 64mb ram module out and tried that, thinking it went bad or something. none of that worked. i still have the 64mb out, didnt feel like putting it back in. i think that it might be my controller card. i posted this same problem at speedguide.net and someone said that i couldnt run that many programs at once BUT i have run the same programs and even more things at once, before that freebsd crap happend and nothing bad had went wrong, it ran perfect, now all of a sudden this crap is happening.

im hoping SOMEONE will know whats wrong and what i have to do to fix it.

PLEASE HELP!!

questions on your problem.
what speed is your processor ?
what size is your hd and have you checked it for bad spots..
have you ran proformance monitor on you prosessor ..

powerfulsquid

733mhz p3
the HD with win2000 on it is 15gb, the other one is 40gb and yes ive checked for bad spots, i think. ill probably do a scan disk tomorrow just to make sure and no i havent run porformance monitor on my processor but when i hit ctrl, alt, del when it lags like that (which takes forever because the comp is lagging), CPU use is at 0-2%.

are you runing 2k perfosonal or suver .. i have had this problem and was thinking about it to day same thing with my server had to reload it like 4 times what i figured out with it. it was a network configuration problem with the set up. same problem with my laptop i had to reload it several times i think i just had a bad load because now it runs great. are you networking this pc is it server or profesional and what type of isp do you have ..

powerfulsquid

im running personal. yes im networking it with my bros computer and i have @home.

if you didnt know, this isnt an online lag problem, its a computer lag problem, so even if i unhooked @home, itll still happen. from what you said, it sounded like you thought it was an online lag problem.

i dont think this is a on line lag problem. hears what happened to me i have a 5 computer network at home for testing things i up graded from nt 4.0 to 2k on all pc's server and profesional problem i had was my server keept laging on opening and closeing programs and runing a few things at one time had to reload several times i found that my problem was in the setup i dont have a www. address and set up is kinda looking for that and i had to do sertian things in order to set up a local network. also my laptop put 2 k perfesional on this as well 475 mz with 192 ram had kinda the same problem even when it was not conected to the network what i did was reloaded it several times do to being torked off last thing i did was in larged my swap file this did help some check you event viewer and see if you have any errors listed on it this might help in this problem also up grade your service pack to 2.0 this might help as well hope this helps sorry i am not much of a help

powerfulsquid

now i cant even play a game without this lag messing it up.

what do you suggest i do then? enlarge my swap file and check my event viewer? if so, how do i enlarge my swap file and check my event viewer?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online