1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer lagging really bad (not game related)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by darkrites668, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. darkrites668

darkrites668 Thread Starter

At first, i thought it was this new game i installed, it would lag about every minute and a half, for about 10 seconds at a time. So i uninstalled the game. The only problem is now the computer seems to get bogged down much easier (running AIM and windows media player at the same time makes WMP songs slow), and enters 10 second "slow periods". This never used to happen.

2. jargonize

jargonize

you may have a lot of temp files from the game, and/or some files still hanging around from the game. try it without aim. it might be callin aol a lot. my 2cents

3. darkrites668

The thing is, when i would play the game (now uninstalled) i wouldnt have anything else running. That leads me to believe its not AIM. Also, about 6 months ago, i could stack at least 6 progs, including AIM, and still have my comp run smoothly

4. physician

physician

Are you running any antispyware apps for protection? Also, there is a free cleaner that will get rid of a lot of junk that slows your computer down called ccleaner. If you google it, it is the first one that comes up. I run it on one laptop and five desktops (both XP and Win2000) without any problems - let it clean all it finds...doc

5. Roshith

Roshith

download ad-aware and spybot s&d from the links in physician's signature......update it and then run it.......remove all that they find........n then download hijackthis and post the log on this site......

6. darkrites668

Ive already run all those progs, except ccleaner

7. Dr Dave

Dr Dave

Are you still running IE? If so try switching to Firefox when you get it cleaned out. Its not only faster, its safer. I use it and one more program that keeps it
    free of various infections. Webroot's Spysweeper.
    http://www.webroot.com/

8. darkrites668

I am still running IE. Ill switch and then post again if the problem is still there

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325795

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice