1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer loading and freezing

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by kaligt55, Jan 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kaligt55

kaligt55 Thread Starter

Hi Guys and thank you for your time and help. A job you will be rewarded for.
    I found some posts that were similar to this problem but not fully.

Ok, I have another PC..compaq presario and it began when my art program would not open because the resolution was not high enough. There was nothing else but 32 16 and 256. I needed higher.
    There is a slider in advance settings that will not move. Once it did but would not settle in the middle. Just jumped from side t side. Now it is stuck again. BTW running win 98se. Then things got worse. I booted and many icons would not load including "My computer." System freezes so that I cannot do anything, not even click on start.
    I went in on safe mode and I even froe in there. So sometimes I can use safe mode others I can't.

When I am in safe mode I do not know where to begin and what to look for. I did go into misconfig and typed everything in your search and deleted what was not necessary. Still working the same. Bottom line i is like I had a huge crash. I can't download true sword to assist. I can;t do anything. I don;t even know if I can reinstall windows. If I can't open my computer how would I be able to do that?
    Would appreciate anything you can do to help. Hopefully next time I post it will be short.
    kali

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hi and welcome to TSG..
    Try tapping f 8 at start up..choose command prompt..type scanreg/restore
    Choose date prior to problem..not the oldest..
    98se sometimes does not support higher than 256 resolution..

3. kaligt55

kaligt55 Thread Starter

Thanks for the speedy reply. I was using high resolutions prior to all of this. That is why I went to change it when I got the message hat my art program needed higher resolution.

I did the f 8 and got to the commnd prompt.
    I typed in as you suggested and then got another prompt that says
    ? :Display usage
    Backup ; the registry and related system configuration files
    Restore : Change and backup to restore
    FIX : Repair the Registry
    Comment "(Comment)"

I tried all of them and it keeps telling me bad command or file name
    kali
    How do I get out of that prompt???esc???

4. awergh

awergh

if you typed just scan scanreg it will come up with the options that you can use
    to use one of the options you should just do scanreg / (option goes here)
    in your case scanreg /restore
    because only restore doesnt do anything

5. kaligt55

kaligt55 Thread Starter

ok did all that and it got to windows as it usually does. The cursor and hourglass still sit in the middle of the screen and "my computer Icon and about 13 other icons are the win95 icon and not the assigned icon such in My Computer which is a computer.

Nothing is working. dead. but loading I guess to a point.
    Any other tricks up your sleeve? :confused:
    kali

6. awergh

awergh

7. kaligt55

kaligt55 Thread Starter

Nope. The cursor is still floating around thinking it is going to do something. I can't even open start to get to the control panel.

I'm hoping I did that restore ok, but nothing has changed so it looks like no harm done. No harm fixed either :)
    kali

8. blues_harp28

Hi..try at command prompt..scanreg/fix
    This should fix registry..not restore to an earlier date..
    Do you have a boot disk(floppy)?

9. kaligt55

kaligt55 Thread Starter

Does anyone have a boot disk floppy :) :)
    I already tried the restore. Hope that doesn't stop this from working. BTW I didn't think that once in my life that I would find anyone on the internet that did things for nothing, excluding donations which I'll figure out how to get some to you guys. On my way to try this. Did I mention that I have to shut the pc off from the back all the time instead of shut down? It was working so nice before.
    off I go.

10. kaligt55

kaligt55 Thread Starter

OK.. It said it successfully repaired the registry.I clicked ok and am at the C prompt. I don't want to shut it down until I hearfrom you.
    thanks
    kali :) :)

11. kaligt55

kaligt55 Thread Starter

too whoever would like too continue to help. :) :)

I got back on. I had forgotten my DOS for a while. :( I typed in win and got back on to the same thing. Mouse is ok but I can't open anything. Not even start. Also there are still about 13 icons on my desktop that are now 98 icons including "my Computer" So there must be something I can do in safe mode but I just do not know what. Also when I get to safe mode, which mode would it be better for me to choose and what would be the proceedures.
    Thanks for any help and no I do not have a backup. I guess I'm normal by not having one. :) :)
    daynia

12. blues_harp28

Hi..Do you have the original 98se install cd?
    And a boot disk?

13. kaligt55

kaligt55 Thread Starter

This whole problem I am having with the other computer is perplexing. If it freezes as soon as windows loads (except the mouse), I can't go to start, my computer icon is a win98 icon amongst many, and mostly I am not able to get into the CD to reload windows.

After doing what was lastly suggested...scanreg/fix a message came up saying it was successful. I clicked OK and ended up at the "C" prompt. After a while my dos began to come back to me and I typed in "win" and it took me right to my frozen windows desktop. Since when is a computer doing what you don't tell it to do????? :) :) :) I was always taught that a computer only does what you tell it to do. Ok so I'm forgetting to tell it something/ WHAT!!!!!! :) :)
    kali

14. purple_cloud

purple_cloud

Tell us about anything you might have done just before the problem started?

Can you boot in Safe-Mode (which means you will not be able to internet with Safe Mode). Can you tell us anything about your Video Card or its Driver. Usually the Video card driver must be installed to run better resolution, more colors. If the Video Card driver is not present, it might cause some bizarre hangs on normal boot.

Okay, I just remembered. Starting in Safe Mode probably means the Video card driver is not installed as part of safe boot.
    Still, Look around and see what might not be right.

Once I had a friend who thought to get extra hard drive space by deleting all the files he did not recognize. He knew to leave Windows folder alone. He deleted C:\cabs. That is where Windows 98 keeps the hardware drivers to use a at boot.

15. kaligt55

kaligt55 Thread Starter

Hi,
    I just got it started. I was able to go into safe mode finaly. It was an anti virus program that was not fully loading. It had replaced itself back into the startup. As soon as I unclicked it, I prayed, took a deep breath and did a hard reboot. Everything came up like roses. It seems that anytime i have a problem it is always in the startup. Only problem I had is that everything froze and I was unable to access anything. Even safe mode was freezing. Thank you again for your help.
    Hope you can answer my other questions.
    Thank you so much. Now I have one other desktop I need to get into but I won't be doing that for a while. One or two questions I have. On this particular desktop that I just worked on, I need higher resolutions. I know I had them at one time. I am using ATI enhanced graphic card. The drivers cannot be found online. That was my whole reason for using that computer and now I find n higher than 256 which will not allow my art program to open.

The next question is what is a good graphics card for a laptop. Acer imparticular?

I'm pretty sure I can put a new card into the desktop but would I attempt it on the laptop,. All in all I really would like my resolutions back. I really don;t feel like springing for a new card.
    Any sugestions?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!