1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer lock up = Freezing !?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by timothye, Feb 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. timothye

timothye Thread Starter

hey all . ok here is the story . i bought a computer for my father , everything is fine , not a monster machine but will get the job dont .
    xp sp 2 , AMD 2400+ @2.0, 640DDR @266, 80 gig maxtor HD ,nVidia Geforce 5700 128DDR .
    now it has all updates from MS , DirectX9.0c, the latest drivers from nVidia , actually everything has been updated.
    no spyware , we have run all the tests for viruses ect..now he installed "call of duty " first person shooter game .when he plays everything ( he says ) is fine ,after 10 minutes of game play the game freezes , now he doesnt have sound , but the picture of the game is still visible but motionless=froozen, its not a heat issue , i had him run MBM and its ok in that respect , computer case is spotless ( no dust build up of shite inside ) we reinstalled drivers for the Graphics card, and used a driver removal tool before installing the new drivers . reinstalled directX 9.0c ,and reinstalled the game . used registry cleaner , but no probs there .no new system hardware ,no system changes of any kind .adn nothing running ( processes in the background ) system tray has panda antiVirus software and the volume icon ..funny thing is i had call of duty installed on that machine while i was visiting last summer ( just after i bought it for him ) and it worked flawlessly .Now he installs it and it freezes up the system .. any thoughts on what / we can try next ?
    cheers

2. 42gary

42gary

could your cpu be overheating? install something like pc alert or another temp monitoring prog.

3. timothye

timothye Thread Starter

i tried that alread , but thanks for the input ;)

4. Arkady

Arkady

That sounds a lot like the problem I've been having, see "New System Overheating" thread, but with Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow.

Try checking the voltages as it could be a power supply issue.

5. 42gary

42gary

copy and paste your conflicts/sharing stats from the sys. information in here

6. timothye

timothye Thread Starter

ill do that when i can , at the moment my father isnt available , im just trying to get a head start on the problem..
    thanks for your help m8.
    Cheers !!

7. inferlogic

inferlogic

Your windows XP may have errors in the system files, have you tried doing a Windows XP repair from bootup using your XP cd?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/331220

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice