1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Locking Up

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by lschul, Feb 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

I just came to the office and my computer monitor was dark but the computer was running, as if it were doing something. I was unable to wake it or get it working properly so I did a hard shut down. When I restarted it went to:

Continue with system restore or delete restoration data and proceed to system boot menu. I chose the first and it locked again so on another retry I chose the second choice to go to the boot menu.

Windows started

Performed a check disk for consistency and found no problems

Started Windows and here I am.

I am not sure why this is happening, it is the second time in a few days. Is something going wrong with my system? Is my power setting not right for some reason?

All my virus, malware and spyware data bases are up to date and have been run.

Ideas?

2. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

Is it possible the screensaver might be the culprit? I have the system set up to turn the screen off after 15 minutes and the hard disk after an hour so I might not need it.

3. rainforest123

rainforest123

Ischul:
    Yes, the screen saver could be the culprit; or contribute to the problem if the cause is a faulty graphics card.

When did the computer last work well? When did the problem begin? Sometimes the exact date is important.

What changed; a hardware or software installation or removal; an update to W7 [ check your W7 update history ] or update to your anti malware or other antimalware program / programs ]; an update to Java or an Adobe program for example?

Please run this forum's system info utility & post the results.
    http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Valuable_links

RF123

4. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

It has only happened recently, maybe the last couple days. It is hard to pinpoint when it started. I know Java JUcheck has been popping up the last couple days.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8191 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce G210, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 596295 MB, Free - 397459 MB; D: Total - 14182 MB, Free - 1514 MB;
    Motherboard: PEGATRON CORPORATION, Eureka3
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

5. rainforest123

rainforest123

Thanks for the information.

As a general problem solving precaution, copy your important data to flash drives and optical drives. Data redundancy is your friend.

Please provide your laptop's brand, model & model #.

Run W7's update, to find out which, if any hardware drivers are recommended. Do not install them at this time.
    A screen shot works for me.

Use W7's snipping tool, or follow the instructions, below
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Use-Snipping-Tool-to-capture-screen-shots

or
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-use-the-windows-snipping-tool/

screenshot

On your keyboard, look for a key labeled "print screen" OR "PrtSc" OR "PRN SCN" or some variation.
    When you want to capture that which is displayed, press the print screen button.
    Open Paint [ start > programs / all programs > accessories > paint [ rarely MS Paint]
    Maximize Paint
    left click "edit"
    Left click "paste"
    file > save as.
    Save the file to any location of your choice.
    File name: your choice, for example: "filename"
    save as type: left click down pointing arrow. Left click jpg / jpeg
    Left click "save" / "ok".

The file name has now been saved as filename.jpg [ or filename.jpeg ].

Return to the thread.
    Left click "go advanced".

Left click "manage attachments"
    left click "browse"
    browse to the location, on your computer, where you saved "filename.jpg"
    Left click filename.jpg
    left click "open"
    left click Upload"
    close window of upload screen after the file has been uploaded.

enter text into the reply area.
    left click "submit"

If there is information on the screen that you don't want to display, you can use the eraser [ looks like a bar of soap, left column, 2nd from the top. You can remove large areas by clicking on the dotted outline column button, top, right column, then drag your mouse while holding down left mouse button ] to surround that which you don't want displayed. Then, press "delete" on your keyboard. Then save.

Disable your screen saver, as a troubleshooting step.

Does the locking occur only upon boot? If so, what percentage of the time?

Check with your laptop manufacturer for diags. They might be available from a boot menu.

Diags
    CPU & GPU
    www.ocbase.com
    Also, Furmark at http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

ram / memory
    http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

HDD
    http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

Does it matter if the boot is a cold boot [ computer off for > 15 min ] or reboot?

If the locking occurs 1/2 of the boot, boot to safe mode 10 times; cold boots or warm reboots depending upon your answer to my previous question.

Out of curiosity, if the locking occurs at boot, why do you suspect the screen saver?
    :)

RF123

6. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

This is a HP Pavilion desktop. I have had no issues since I disabled the screensaver. It just seems like when I try to wake the computer up from sleep or when the screen is dark it wouldn't do it. It isn't causing issues now no matter if it has been 20 minutes or two hours. I have my screen set to sleep at 15 minutes of inactivity and the computer itself to sleep after an hour. I would be interested to know your thoughts on the screen shot too. Thanks.

Attached Files:

7. rainforest123

rainforest123

Please be more specific.
    RF123

8. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

Sorry, interested to know what you think of the screen shot I posted and if I should install those updates.

9. rainforest123

rainforest123

It is a good idea to keep Windows updated.

What is the status of the topic of this thread? Have you solved it?

RF123

10. ncrdisabled

ncrdisabled

I had the same problem my sons computer would lock up some times it would shut off. I found the wireless card in a pci slot was causing it. He also had a problem with the computer shutting off when he plugged in his I phone. That ended it being the usb hub was over loaded . I bought a power active hub and that fixed it. My daughter computer would just shut off at different time I found the power supply was weak replaced it and that fixed it. I take care of all the computers in my house .

try those and let me know what happens

11. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

It seems to be working well, RF if you think it is a good idea to update those optional updates then I will try that. Is there a down side to updating those?

12. ncrdisabled

ncrdisabled

if it working fine do not update date if. The old adage If it not broke dont fix it!!!

13. rainforest123

rainforest123

There is a downside to anything.

My preference for upgrading graphics drives is a multi step process, which I will post , now.
    Download the driver you want to install.
    www.nvidia.com
    Download Driver Sweeper from Guru3D & install it.
    Decline the offer for Tune Utilities or any other offers.
    http://www.guru3d.com/content_page/guru3d_driver_sweeper.html

Control panel > programs & features; remove / uninstall nVidia graphics driver
    Boot to safe mode
    Run Guru3D
    Install new driver
    Boot to normal mode

An example of a problem I had.

I have a Dell Vostro computer. I began receiving BSODs referencing the nVidia graphics driver.
    I downloaded the latest nVidia graphics driver from Dell.
    Followed the steps above.
    Same problem
    Downloaded the latest graphics driver from nVidia; followed the steps above; same problem.

I downloaded an older driver from nVidia; followed the steps above; NO BSODs!

Best of success.

Keep us posted.

RF123

14. rainforest123

rainforest123

Create system restore point before uninstalling the graphics driver.

Create a system restore point before installing any program.

Create a system restore point after uninstalling any driver, since my instructions include installing the graphics driver in safe mode.

Yes, I am cautious. I've seen Windows [ XP ] blow up due to a mouse driver. I am cautious.

RF123

15. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

I am cautious too, why not just apply the updates that are waiting? Not fully understanding...thanks

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090748

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice