1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Locking UP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sanadan, Jan 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sanadan

Sanadan Thread Starter

Hi, for the past while I've been having some problems with my computer locking up. It seems like it only locks up while playing sound of some sort (ie. Winamp, or a game). Lately it's been really bad while playing Tiger Woods Golf (locks up 3-5 times per night usually).

This isn't a static problem. By that I mean that it's not everytime I start a program or play a certain file. Tiger Woods will run for a few hours without locking up and then next time it might lock up after 10 mins of play, same with Winamp.

Description of problem: System completely locks up and sound seems to be playing in a continuous short loop (1 sec or less looping back on itself).

System Info (not fully complete but ask away if I'm missing anything relevant):
    Gateway System
    AMD Athalon 800Mhz
    Sounblaster PCI 128D
    GeForce2 TI 64MB
    200W PS
    Windows 98SE
    640MB Ram
    DirectX 9.0 currently running but had the same problems in DX8 as well.
    Not sure on motherboard atm I will have to look for the information on the board itself later, and try to figure out how to determine the make and model of it from there.
    Please feel free to ask more about my system if needed.

Now... I've noticed that my Vid Card has a fan for the processor that doesn't seem to function. I have my case open and have checked it periodically and it doesn't seem to ever be spinning. I don't know how to get a temperature reading on my vid card, or cpu or any other device on my system. I've checked my bios and it doesn't seem to have anything related to temperature. I've loaded MotherBoard Monitor and it doesn't give me any temperature results either.

I'm at a loss about what I need to do to fix my problem so any help you might have will be terrific.

2. Hairy

Hairy

fix that fan problem

Win98 doesn't like that much RAM.....consider 512

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/111657

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice