1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer locks up during certian games help please.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nonphixion, Sep 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nonphixion

Nonphixion Thread Starter

Ok I wanted someones opinion on this matter. A few weeks ago whenever I would play games like Warcraft 3 or Dark Age of Camelot about anywhere from 20-30 minutes into playing the game my computer would just freeze. The only way to fix it would be to press button reboot. So I took panel off cpu to make sure everything was ok and when I looked at the graphics card the fan on it had stoped working. So I thought my grpahics card must be over heating so I put a large fan next to my cpu to try and keep it cool as I don't ahve the money to replace the card at this moment. This seemed to work well as I did not have any more lock ups until just a few days ago. What I want to know is this problem really being caused by my grpahics card over heating? When I removed the panel and touched the card when it locked up it was pretty hot to the touch, not being able to keep my fingers on it. Any help would be great.

My Graphics card is a Geforce3 Ti 200 128mb.
    Amd Athlon 2100+

2. /\/\r.Abdul

/\/\r.Abdul

in my experiance and overheating Graphics card wont lock up the computer it will just give you anying artifats while playing? and what are your CPU temps in idle and under stress?

3. CoolerMaster

CoolerMaster

http://forums.techguy.org/t269857.html

That is the thread that lists a couple of options for replacement video cards. They are all around $60. Is that a possibilty? I think the problem though might lie with the processor. Often times they can lock up your computer. If you press ctrl+alt+del and click on the performance tab at the top you can watch how much your processor is working while running different programs. Also while you're there click the processes tab and see how many processes are running. If there are quite a few(40 or more maybe? just a guess) you might want to post a hijack this log somewhere. If you can get rid of alot extra running processes that might help you out alot.

Here you can look at alot of diiferent processors and what other people think of them: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...ce=&maxprice=&mfrcode=1028&DEPA=1&Order=price

There are quite a few all around $60. I'm not too sure whether the processor is screwy or there are too many things running at once or whatever.

Hopefully someone else will get to you soon, but in the meantime you can read over my post. I would wait for someone else to reply before you do anything. You might want to post how many processes are running.

CoolerMaster

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272986

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice