1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer locks up for short periods

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Rod in Clayt, Feb 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rod in Clayt

Rod in Clayt Thread Starter

:confused: I have a Gateway computer and run Windows 98 SE. Periodically, whether I'm on the net or not, the computer will freeze. If I'm downloading a web page, working in a CAD program, playing solitaire, or whatever, the mouse pointer will freeze, or whatever I am downloading will stop. After a few seconds everything resumes as normal. I recently took the tower in to a computer repair service and had them check it out(it had been freezing up completely). They checked for viruses, adware, etc., reported nothing, but suggested I add more memory. I told them to go ahead with the memory. This problem also causes the sound to stutter and videos to actup, making it very frustrating to listen to music while working. Can you help me? Thanks in advance.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

How much memory is currently installed? And I presume it has made no difference?

Heat can also be a cause of performance issues, but this does sound like it is typical of a memory shortage.

Let us see a HijackThis scanlog, you may be able to trim some of the resource hogs out of startup.

Create a new, permanent folder for HijackThis and save the file to that. Run it and select "do a system scan and save the log file". Then copy/paste the contents of the log to a reply

Direct HijackThis download link: http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/HijackThis.exe

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    That's my guess - a bloated startup load.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!