Computer locks up when attaching printer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

janen49

My old HP deskjet died, so I decided to use my daughter's HP Photosmart C3180 with my computer. I did a big no-no and just attached it to the computer, which froze up immediately. I then found the software and installed it. After hours of frustration, I did an online chat with HP and they had me go to a msconfig and uncheck all of the hp applications in startup, uninstall the software and reinstall. No change at all. Every time I plug the printer into my computer, the computer locks up immediately. I have to do a hard reboot with the printer disconnected. The printer itself works fine with my daughter's laptop.

I am running windows XP and have plenty of memory and drive space.

Has anyone had this happen to them? I don't know where to go from here.

Thanks for any help you can suggest!

janen49

Just to let anyone know who might have this same problem...

My neighbor fixed the problem. I think the problem was that I hadn't uninstalled my previous printer before installing the new one. I had deleted it from the printers on my control panel, but hadn't uninstalled. He did have to uninstall and reinstall the new one, and he also plugged the cord into a different usb slot. The printer is working great now!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts