1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer locks up when sitting too long a logon screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by greg32, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greg32

greg32 Thread Starter

Hi all!
    My system runs perfectly, log on , log off, re-boot, and all other times, never locking up or freezing. Except when it sits at logon for a prolonged period of time. If I log off and on, straigtaway its fine, if I leave it for 2-3 hours it seems fine, but at some point, longer that 3 hours (been testing how long, but it takes time - currently over three hours between tests), it will let me enter p/word, it will come up with loading preferences message or whatever, and then hang. Mouse still moves, but os is locked hard, only a re-boot will get it up again. Something is falling asleep (maybe hardware) and won't wake up?? I have removed all my pci cards and all other uneccesary hardware, to check, but no difference. My software I am running is essentially exactly the same as my other 2 pcs, but they don't lock. I have turned off all powersaving features in bios, and have set power options in Windows XP to a always on computer.

Get this though, if I don't enter the password to logon, but restart the computer from the login screen, before attempting to logon, all is o.k. So the os works to the point where it can re-boot itself initally, but once trying to login, it is locking.

It is a fully patched SP2 system, and all other programs are up to date, as well as hardware drivers.

Norton, Adaware, Spybot, Antivir (secondary virus scanner loaded and unloaded separate from norton, and not running alongside Nortons active Guarding), and TD-3 all come up clean on scan. My system is pretty well locked down. My hijack this log is clean..etc

This is a really annoying thing.

Cheers Greg

2. greg32

greg32 Thread Starter

*Just a polite bump - I am open to all ideas right now.

Cheers Greg

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!