1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer locks up (Win7, repeatable but also random)

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ad3n, May 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ad3n

ad3n Thread Starter

I'm running an older self-built tower that holds up for me today considering I don't really game like I used to:

Windows 7 64-bit (updated)
    Intel Core2Quad q6600 @ 2.4GHz (no OC)
    ASUS P5K
    RAM OCZ PC2 6400 1GB x 4
    nVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
    WD SATA HDD x3 (320GB, 320GB, 1TB)

So the problem: Whenever I try to upload photos onto Shutterfly, my computer consistenly hangs. Video screen, mouse, keyboard all freeze up. No BSOD. No error messages to guide. Just locks up requiring a restart. There's times where it'll upload a bunch of photos before this happens, and other times when it happens after 10 seconds. But I know that if I go try it no, it will freeze up. It will occasionally freeze up at other times with web searching, but never consistently that I can see a pattern. And this happens with both Chrome and/or Firefox, so I don't think it's browser causing. It's super annoying.

I've tried reformating and starting fresh, thinking maybe it was conflicting programs. I have upated my Windows 7, Java, Adobe/Flash, NET, video card drivers, mobo drivers. Again, this is an older setup of hardware, so really no new drivers have even come out in awhile anyways.

I've looked into my Reliability Monitor and it consistenly shows:

Problem: Video hardware error
    Files that help describe the problem:
    WD-20180512-0745.dmp
    sysdata.xml
    WERInternalMetadata.xml

WhoCrashed shows:

No valid crash dumps have been found on your computer

I've even tried performing a clean install of a video card driver from 2014 just to see if that would do anything, but it locked up with Shutterfly in no time.

I'm running out of places to head to fix this. While it's an old rig, I don't really need anything newer, so I'm hoping to keep this thing running as long as I can. Any ideas?

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    This is the most current driver(342.01) for Windows 7 64-bit for the NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS graphic card:
    http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/112594/en-us

Select the custom install option, then select only the components you need, then select the clean install option.

---------------------------------------------------------------

This install and update guide for doing a clean install of Windows 7 64-bit may be helpful to you:
    https://forums.techguy.org/threads/steps-for-installing-updating-windows-7-sp1.1176121/

----------------------------------------------------------------

The processor and graphic card use a total of about 250 watts of power, so hopefully you have a decent power supply unit in your computer.
    What brand name and model number and wattage is it?

----------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  3. ad3n

ad3n Thread Starter

I have an Antec 750W PSU.

And I had the 342.01 driver installed right out of a format with the Clean install regardless and it didn't change my hang ups.

4. kenbok51

kenbok51

You might try using a Hard Drive utility to examine the C drive for faults. Check it's smart reading and check it for bad sectors. WD should have an application you can use to check if the drive(s) is failing. A 320gig sata drive is probably sata 1.5 and quite long in the tooth. To check for bad sectors you can download the trial version of HDD Regenerator. It will only fix the first instance of a bad sector it finds when using the trial but at least you'll know if it finds anything. HWiNFO64 or 32 should also show you some info about your drives in the lower left of the first screen.

5. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Have you tried uploading a picture to any other site?

6. ad3n

ad3n Thread Starter

I don't think it's my HDD, because when I reformatted, I installed the OS to a different HDD than my previous one.

And I've uploaded pictures to Facebook with no issues. Generally not many, whereas Shutterfly is a bit more in number. Regardless, Shutterfly seems to be the biggest headache. As I said it will lock up occasionally elsewhere on the internet, but never consistently to say anything is a pattern.

7. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    If it works on Facebook but not Shuttefly then yes, I'd conclude the issue is either with the site or trying to upload too many images at once.

8. lynx1021

lynx1021

You said "I installed the OS to a different HDD than my previous one." Did you install the chipset drivers after the OS install? Read some where there are no Win 7 chipset drivers so you use the Vista 64bit ones. Lot of bios updates.https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/P5K/HelpDesk_Download/

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1210126

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice