1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer loses signal unless very close to router.(NEED HELP)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tupadre97, Sep 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tupadre97

tupadre97 Thread Starter

About a week ago my laptop started acting strange. I noticed when I brought my computer to my room (which is where i usually use my computer) it said that there were connections available where the signal bar is. Which is odd because it usually just auto connects. So i clicked on the signal bar and connected to my internet, but it lost the connection shortly after so I clicked connect again and it said windows was unable to connect to the router. Then shortly after that it said no connections were available. So i brought the computer to the computer to the family room ,where the router is, to check the router. It was nothing wrong with the router so I looked back at the computer and it was automatically connected to the internet with a five bar connection, but when i left the family room with the computer it immediately lost the signal. So i decided i should just stay in the family room. The next day the same problem occured and i went back to the family room to use the computer but i noticed the connection wasnt usually at five bars like it usually is wen im that close to the router but it was 4 bars or 3. The next day i went over my fathers house for the weekend, and when im over there i pretty much always have a five bar connection even though im not in the same room as the router because im 1 floor directly above the router. Now when i used the computer over my dads house it had a 3 bar connection, disconnected from the internet at times, and when i try to connect bak it said that windows could not connect to router like it had said in my room bak at my own house, even though it always used to have a very high connection before this problem happened. So wen i got bak to my house i went to the family room to connect to the internet and now im having the same problems i had over my dads house. Now i try deleting some programs to see if they affected the internet and have even turned off some start off services on using mpconfig but that didnt work either. I dont have a clue why the internet is like this but i need help. PLEASE!

2. vicks

vicks

The first thing I would try to do is to clean up all the temporary files.
    Open Internet Explorer, click on tools>internet options. Scroll down to Browsing history, click on view files. next select edit> select all, click on File>delete, okay. Then click your way out of there.
    If you are hesitant to do this manually, you can download a free program called ccleaner (available at www.majorgeeks.com). However should you choose to use it, PLEASE, disable the regedit option before you run it. Many of us here at TSG recommend NOT using any registry cleaner,optimizer type of program...
    Let us know if this is of any help to you..
    Vicks

3. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

Well, the first thing *I* would do is look for sources of interference. Could it be that a neighbor has set up a wireless router on the same channel as yours? Have you scanned to see?

What about the presence of other emitters nearby? Wireless telephones? Wireless connection between a sound system and its speakers? Anything else similar?

How about the presence of a large piece of grounded metal located near to the router? Like a stove? Which could perhaps be on the other side of the wall from the router? Or maybe a refrigerator? Gun case? Possibly cold air returns for the furnace that might be inside the wall?

What about the possibility of an electric motor running nearby that has bad bearings and/or brushes?

Has a neighboring business set up a data link connection which perhaps intersects your house?

What happens when you change channels on the router?

Have you tried moving the router to a different position in the room? Have you tried a different router? Is the antenna on the router still connected to the router and in good condition? That antenna is not hidden or obstructed?

If you have a smart phone, there are apps for them that will scan the spectrum and tell you what signals are found - what wireless routers are available, what channel they are on, and what encryption (if any) they are using. Use one of those to look things over.

This isn't a software problem, and trying to treat it by fiddling with software on your machine is just silly.

4. tupadre97

tupadre97 Thread Starter

i'll try that later on today

5. tupadre97

tupadre97 Thread Starter

yes i have used a different router. it is probably something wrong with the computer. i'm trying the first method later.

6. tupadre97

tupadre97 Thread Starter

No it didnt help:(

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sounds like a loose antenna or maybe a defective adapter to me. What kind of wireless adapter (integrated, USB, PCMCIA card, etc.)?

8. tupadre97

tupadre97 Thread Starter

how do u check what type of adapter it is

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I've never had to check 'cause I somehow manage to remember which one I'm using. Lets see ... look at all your USB ports--any wireless adapters connected there?

Check you PCMCIA or ExpressCard slot(s). Any card inserted there? If so, is it a wireless adapter?

Check your laptop specs. Any mention of included (integrated) wireless?

10. tupadre97

tupadre97 Thread Starter

my internet connects with the Atheros AR5B93 Wireless Network Adapter. but its built in the computer

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you can access the wireless adapter through a cover on the laptop's bottom check to make sure the antenna leads are secure. While you are at it, in case of corrosion of the contacts, remove the card and carefully and firmly reinsert it three or four times.

In case it's not obvious, you do this with the unit unplugged and the battery removed.

12. tupadre97

tupadre97 Thread Starter

i tried but i couldnt access the adapter thru the bottom. any other ideas?

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1019825

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice