Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Computer Made a Pop Sound and Shut Down

846 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  crjdriver 
#1 ·
Hey I just encountered a problem a few days ageo and I am a little lost. My computer stays on pretty much 24/7 and one night (about 4 days ago) my computer made a pop sound like a power outage would make and shut off. I tried turning it back on but it would not boot. The fans would come on for about half a second and turn off. So I took everything out of the case and started unplugging everything. Eventually I got the computer to start up again. Lastnight ( so 3 days later) the computer shut off again after being on for those 3 days. The temps on my cpu were around the 30c never got above 40c. I tried doing what I did last time by just having power to the cpu with everything unplugged. The code I get when pressing the power button is 00. Everytime I press the power button it just reads 00. Number never changes. That is the first number that shows up and stays on. I have no idea what happend. The motherboard is a x99 delux 2 and the cpu is a 6850.

#5 ·
Sounds like your Asus X99-DELUXE II blew a capacitor if it not the power supply. Look for leaking on top and bottom of the Caps.. Circuit component Passive circuit component Electronic engineering Electronic component Composite material

It could be other connected devices like fans or hard drives. Usually Capacitors Pop when they go out completely.

#7 ·
The pop you heard was most likely a capacitor blowing. The problem is that when a lower quality pw supply fails in this manner, it can fry other parts as well ie motherboard, video card, ram, etc, etc. I once had a system brought to me for a no boot condition. When I attempted to turn it ON, the pw supply arced and shot out a decent size spark. Every other part in that system [other than the mech hard drive] was fried; motherboard, processor, ram, video card all destroyed. High end pw supplies ie seasonic or the high end corsairs [generally] do not have this problem. When they fail, they just shutdown and that is it.
Once you get your parts back, you are going to have to test each part in a bench or test system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.