1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer makes beeping noises on start, computer wont run

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by God_Noor, Aug 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. God_Noor

God_Noor Thread Starter

Well, today when I woke up I tried starting my computer, but it started making beeping noises and the light on the expansion bay started flashing. I looked up the problem, and found it it's beep code. The beeps my computer is making is as follows:
    short, short, long
    short, short, long
    short, short, long
    short, short, long
    short, short, long

There is a one second interval in between each set. I went to the HP site and found this page: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=bph07107#N1010 . However, I'm not sure if it applies to my BIOS or not. I have a HP Pavilion Media Center m8120n TV PC, 3GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce 7350 LE Graphics Card, and about 500GB of HDD space, and an Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600.

I tried looking for the specific BIOS on my computer, but couldn't find it. So I can only assume what they say is my problem is what it actually is. Which is that my computer was "Unable to initialize video or video card required but not installed". This computer is about 4 years old, and I have never changed the card, and have not updated the drivers for several months. How can I fix this problem? I read on other forums where people where having problems with their RAM they had to try putting it into a different slot, however, I'm not sure if my computer has multiple PCI-E slots to do this. Furthermore, If I do have to do something similar, I have no means of grounding myself. Would it be okay if I just did this with my hands? Or should I just spend the extra money to buy something to ground myself with.

Thank you in advance.

2. TRS-80 vet

TRS-80 vet Account Closed

Do you have any display at all?

If not, then it's probably certain that the beep code is correct; that your video chip needs butter (because it's toast).

Does it have a video card installed? If so, pull it, and see if you can get display through the native video output. If it is without a video card, go to a local shop, and see if they have on old one, compatible with your system, that you can use to test with. If it tests good, you probably need to buy a video card...

If your computer is disconnected, you can probably get away without any grounding strap. Nothing in life is guaranteed tho'.

3. God_Noor

God_Noor Thread Starter

As far as the display goes, it will just say analog in the top left corner or tells me to correct my input signals. However, it says that even if the computer is off.

I pulled my video card out, and noticed this:

[​IMG]

The second last tooth/pin is a bit chipped off. Could this be the problem? I tried looking into the slot to see if the fallen pin was there, but I didn't see it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/943781