computer makes strange sounds

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

touk11

My computer has always been noisey compared to others I've listened to. A friend put it together for me. I know next to nothing about one. I have a Maxtor hard drive 80g. windows xp. 512mbs ram, pentium4 processor. I'm not sure what else I need to tell what's on it. The problem is this, It sounds as if I have a cd starting up and then slowing down. It's extremely slow. When I reboot it takes a full five minutes. I've only got about 6gigs used on it. Is there something I can do to make the thing be quite and speed up. I have a dial up modem so I know that's always going to be slow. Thanks in advance. Touk

Could be the processor fan. Some of them are awfully noisy. Could also be a case fan or power supply fan.

touk11

Window xp, and no I don't have a cd in the drive. It has gotten quite now. If it was a processer fan would it take spells of being noisey? Could it be the hard drive going out? This system is about 17 mos. old.

Well, your machine has decent enough specs to assume that it should be booting windows xp a lot quicker than in 5 minutes. The fact that the problem comes and goes, could lend itself to a dying power supply. Sometimes, when a power supply starts going down, the system will bog or freeze up intermitantly. You may try blowing all the dust out of the machine, and especially out of the power supply in the back, to see if that makes an improvement, as dust is one of the main things that can kill a power supply. After that, it gets really hard to know what is going on. You may want to post a log to the security forums to see if something is bogging windows.

So that you have more information available go to www.majorgeeks.com and download and install EVEREST. EVEREST will provide all the specs on your computer that may be necessary to diagnose the problem.

touk11

Thanks for your suggestion, Food7, I bought a can of air today and I'll do a little cleaning tomorrow. Maybe that's the problem.
Win2pro, I'll do as you said and I'll go to majorgeeks and check it out. You all have been very nice to an old Grandma. Thanks.

touk11

:cool: Hey food7, I finally got around to cleaning my computer and the problem seems to be gone. It's sounding normal. Amazing what a little can of air can accomplish!
win2kpro, I downloaded everest as you suggested. Thanks to both of you for giving me a hand.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online