1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer making fast grinding noise

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ACA529, Jan 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ACA529

ACA529 Thread Starter

Hi all,

I just recently built a new PC (back in December) and today it made a weird loud grinding/spinning noise. I immediately powered it down, and now it is running OK. There was no burning smell or anything like that. I'm concerned though. It has never done this before, and I'm not sure what component caused it. It kind of sounded like the DVD rom drive, but there was nothing in the drive. The DVD drive does make weird noises when a disc is put in or when it's reading, but I don't know why it would have this time before no disc was inserted. The case (coolmaster centurion) does have two fans built in, one in the front and one in the back. But they are usually quiet.

Specs are:

Mobo: MSI P67A-G43 (B3) P67 ATX LGA1155

CPU: Intel Core i5 2400 Quad Core Processor LGA1155 3.1GHZ Sandy Bridge 6MB

RAM: G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL Ripjaws PC3-12800 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1600

Video card: Radeon HD 6950 2GB

HD: Seagate Barracuda 500GB SATA3

PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W

Please help.

thanks

EDIT: Actually, IIRC I have heard this sound before under a previous configuration. Could it be one of the case fans? I'm surprised because of how loud it was.

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Check Event Viewer for any errors.

3. ACA529

ACA529 Thread Starter

No hardware errors. Just critical Kernal-Power?

Many thanks

4. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    From your description the first things I would check would be the case fans. It could be a fan failing or something as simple as a cable inside that just moved enough to touch the fan blades. There aren't that many mechanical moving parts and from your description it definately sounds like a mechanical problem.

Ensure all your internal cables are tidy and cable tied away from any fans etc.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1038664

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice