1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved computer making strange noise

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zani99, Aug 13, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. zani99

zani99 Thread Starter

I am new on here and still figuring out how to navigate the forums, so I apologize if I'm posting a question that has already been asked (also english is not my first language so bare with me haha). I can't find any article/forum that explains my problem so I am posting here hoping to finally finding out what is causing this sound and how to fix it.

The sound happens almost always when I access my second HDD in windows explorer. Sometimes it happens when my PC is working harder than usual (HD streaming for example) and sometimes (not so often) seemingly random or when I am not even using my PC. It is hard to explain but it is a quick high pitched spinning sound followed by what I can only explain as a clicking sound. It is very quick only about 2 seconds I would say. Previously while playing The Sims 4 the same sound happened right before the game always froze/crashed.

I only know a few things here and there about hardware components, just the basics... I have read somewhere about hard drives "spinning down". Does this mean the drive temporarily shuts down and starts back up when you access a file from it? Or what does it mean? Could this be what is the problem? Or is it something else? I don't want to take my PC in if it is a problem I can fix myself, I am pretty good at following instructions to troubleshoot. I have already run tests on both of my hard drives with a program that checks the health of your hard drive and both my disks are still in excellent condition. What could be causing this sound? My operating system is Windows 10 64bit, if that may be useful. Sorry for the long post! I hope I didn't leave something out, but please help me figure out what is going on here... Thank you in advance!

2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Yes, it does sound like what you're hearing is the hard drive platters spinning back up to speed and the hard drive heads reciprocating back and forth across the drive to access information.

3. zani99

zani99 Thread Starter

So is this something bad? Is there a way to stop it from happening?

4. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Bad? No. The platters must spin and the heads reciprocate. And if you attempt to stop that, the drive simply won't work.

There are computer cases made that are designed to minimize the noise, or you could put the computer in another room. Or replace the hard drive with a SSD (Solid State Drive [i.e, no moving parts]).

5. zani99

zani99 Thread Starter

I found out that windows has a setting so that my 2nd hard drive goes to sleep after 20 minutes without use... I tested it, turning that setting off I haven't heard my hard drive do that noise... is it better to set the sleep setting to "never" so that my hard drive never goes to sleep and therefore don't need to spin back up?

6. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

It's entirely up to you. If you never allow it to shutdown you won't hear the spin-up noise, but, it will wear out faster. They are only designed to last for at least a certain number of hours before they wear out.

7. zani99

zani99 Thread Starter

thanks a lot :) is there any reason the hard drive spinning back up might have caused my sims 4 game to crash?

8. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

I suppose it is possible that an extended period of time waiting for access could interrupt or otherwise confuse some programs.

9. zani99

zani99 Thread Starter

I see... thanks a lot though it was such a simple thing all this time!

10. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

You're welcome.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1231426

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice