1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer messed up, no taskbar,cant run system restore

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by coolcompguy, Sep 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. coolcompguy

coolcompguy Thread Starter

i did a system restore and when it finished it took 5 extra minutes to start up and i had no taskbar, cant run system restore or user accounts or anything. it may be a virus . i did a virus scan adn it ofund 2 viruses but COULD NOT delete them. i really need help.thanks.

2. EveOfNemesis

EveOfNemesis

what anti virus did you use? how did you run it if you could not boot up?

does it/have you tried to boot up in safe mode?

3. coolcompguy

coolcompguy Thread Starter

i used bit defender. and i can boot up, just very slowly. Yes i have tried safe mode but it is still the same. If you know of something i can do in safe mode i will try it.

4. EveOfNemesis

EveOfNemesis

boot up in safe mode with networking, try to download/install a different antivirus and perform a full scan with it(them).

avg is a good free one, if u can get ur hands on it, symantec anvitirus corporate edition is really good. panda i think has a free online scan. but point is, try to scan while in safe mode for best removal chances...

if it still doesnt work, then last resort is to re-install fresh... but obviously back up your data, but make sure you're not backing up the virus, so get a PC with a descent anti virus to scan the drive/files before you copy them out.

good luck

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!