1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Monitor beeping

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GlueEater, Jul 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GlueEater

GlueEater Thread Starter

I just got a new laptop, and for when I'm at home and want to use a bigger screen i have an external monitor. It is a 19" viewsonic. The monitor was working for the first 2 days since i got my laptop, I got the monitor just for the laptop and it's never been used until that day.

On the 3rd day, while I was playing Medival 2, the monitor shut off and hasn't been working since. The monitor makes a high pitched humming noise (But only when it is plugged into the laptop, no place else), it's definitely coming from the monitor not the laptop. I tried the monitor on my brother's computer and it works fine.

Any ideas? Thanks

2. cancon

cancon

This might not be a hardware issue. Are you sure that you have configured the screen correctly? There is usually a button on the keyboard of you laptop that can auto-config external monitors for you, so try that first. It's usually Fn and then an F-key. On the laptop i'm using it's F5. If it's not somewhere on your keyboard, check the display properties by right-clicking on the desktop and clicking properties. Then click on the settings tab. You can also config it from the Graphics Drivers.

If you're sure it's not a software problem, then it's probably you GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) or your Video Card. Make sure you have the latest drivers for that.

3. GlueEater

GlueEater Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure I have the screen configured correctly. As I said it happened while I was playing a game, and it suddenly shut off. For me it's Fn+F3, but now when I do that the laptop screen will shut off but nothing will appear on the monitor, it seems as if it will only make the humming noise when there is a signal being sent to it. Because normally as soon as i plug in the VGA my laptop will automatically sense it and switch by itself and the laptop screen will turn off. Now when I plug it in the laptop screen will turn off but the monitor won't turn on and it'll hum. So if I press fn+F3, and switch it back to the laptop, the humming will stop.

And I'm pretty sure I have the latest drivers.

Thanks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/595561

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice