1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Monitor wont turn on?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Akonnar, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Akonnar

Akonnar Thread Starter

Hello i have a acer aspire running windows 7 with 500gb hdd and 4 gigs of ram on board graphics card. The computer turns on everything initiates like normal but the monitor wont turn on, im not getting any signal. There are no beep codes etc, also ive tried removing the little lithium battery to reset the bios and still nothing. Ive tried using a different monitor and its saying no signal. I have another computer which is having the same problem its a acer something 1 gig of ram 250 hdd and a readeon graphics card...cant remember the exact name. With this computer i was attempting to add more ram to the extra ram slots and the computer booted up and worked but i only had 2.50 gigs of ram rather than 5? So i turned it off and repositioned the ram....which now i wished i hadnt, i now get no signal from either of the computers. If anyone could get me going in the right direction id much appreciate it.

Thanks!

2. rainforest123

rainforest123

Akonnar:
    Hello & Welcome to Tech Guy Forum.

Please provide the brand, model & model # of your computer or motherboard.

The problem is caused by:
    1. faulty monitor
    2. faulty cable connecting computer to monitor
    3. loose connect of cable connecting computer to monitor
    4. something inside your computer; video card or video electronics built into your computer
    5. monitor not receiving electricity because power cord is loose, unplugged, defective; no power / electricity coming from
    the wall outlet.

With the computer & monitor off, verify that the cords / cables are securely connected; in good condition; receiving power from the electric system in your location.

What kind of video port on the computer have you attached the cable? Likely options would be: vga; hdmi; dvi, S video.

When did the computer last work well? What changed?

RF123

3. dai

dai

what are you running
    video card brand and model
    cpu
    m/board
    ram
    power supply
    brand
    model
    wattage

check the listings in the bios for 12v line voltages and cpu temperatures and post them

try with only 1 stick of ram in and make sure it is seated ok

the clips clicking over does not mean it is seated

4. rainforest123

rainforest123

The brand, model & model # of your
    will provide that information.

RF123

5. Akonnar

Akonnar Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply
    The exact model of computer is Acer Aspire ASE390-ED380M 3800+Amd Athlom 64x2 processor 1gb ddr2 ram 250gb SATA hard disk.

The computer was running fine untill last night when i decided i would add an extra 4 gigs of ram into the extra ram slots. I added the ram whcih should have given me 5 gigs 2 four gig sticks and 2 500mb sticks. The computer turned on and worked but i only had 2.5gb of ram? so i was missing half the ram. I shut the computer on and reseated the ram and it hasnt recognised the monitor since.

Also i am using VGA, i also tried what Dai said and still nothing, also the cables are secure.

6. rainforest123

rainforest123

AH HA

that would be important to know
    :)

with the computer off
    remove all of the ram

put the old ram back into their slots

with the new ram on your work area, turn on the computer

Plan B
    Try a different port; dvi; hdmi

edit
    or S video
    end edit

7. Akonnar

Akonnar Thread Starter

Ok so i removed the new ram and put the original ram into the computer and made sure it was seated properly turned on the computer and still nothing. I also then tried to connect with an hdmi cable and still nothing.

8. huggie54

huggie54

hiya,what size ram sticks were originally in the slots? what size extra ram sticks were you installing? 2 four gig sticks + 2 500mb sticks = 9gb,unless you are running a windows 64 bit version it will not see all the ram

9. Akonnar

Akonnar Thread Starter

Hi huggie There was originally 2 500mb sticks of ram in the computer and i tried to add 2 two gig sticks, (sorry for my misscommunication) so that i would have 5 gigs total. I tried like rainforest said and to remove the 2 two gig sticks and put the original ram back in and i still get no signal...

10. rainforest123

rainforest123

Please describe the electrostatic precautions you used when you swapped ram.

If there is no video output:
    Using electrostatic precautions
    open the case
    remove all ram
    disconnect all data cables to hard disk drive [ s] & optical drives
    remove all ram, except 1 stick of the original / older ram

from the back / sides of the computer, remove / disconnect everything except the power & monitor cables. Yes, even internet, mouse & keyboard

Turn on the computer.

Any beeps?

Any video output?

If no, the problem is: your monitor; your motherboard or your CPU [ central processing unit ].

edit:
    or your computer's power supply. If you have a spare, swap it out.

end edit

Try attaching a different monitor to your computer.

RF123

11. rainforest123

rainforest123

12. rainforest123

rainforest123

Please verify the model & model #.
    ASE390-ED380M

I can't find it anywhere on the internet.
    I've searched using
    ASE 390-ED380M

ASE390-ED380M

ASE 390 ED 380M

RF123

13. dai

dai

the closest i could find to your model no. listed it as

max ram 4x1g sticks

does not support sticks larger than 1g

ddr2 non ecc ram only

post a link to the ram you purchased

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087437

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice