Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Computer no longer in network

856 views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  Fireflycph 
#1 ·
I have three networked computers. I recently took one laptop away for a few days and now that computer has a red X on it and I get a message "network connection not found. The connection has not been restored." Can you tell me how to restore it? Thank you for any help.

#3 ·
The problem is with the network. The internet is working fine and everything else is also. All 3 computers are using Windows 10. As I remember, homegroup no longer exists. I don't know if they are mapped drives, though each has a letter in quotes after the name. I open file explorer and I see:

Local Disk (C:)

ottiliegirl \\(patsdesktop) (Q:)
ottiliegirl \\(patssilverpc) (S:)

The red X is on the icon before the silverpc. The third computer is named " patspurplepc" and is currently working fine because it was not disconnected. I hope this answers all your questions.

#4 ·
Ok. So it seems to be mapped drives.
If you go through explorer and network can you browse the other computers and see the shares on them?
If you try to double click the drive with the red "X" do you get an error? If so, what's the exact error.
I assume that nothing has been changed on any computers. Such as a username and/or password. Because typically you'd get that error if the credentials used to map the drive has changed on either machine.
Let's call them a, b and c.
All of them has a user named "bob" If Bob's password changed on any machine you no longer can access the shared drives. If the host (machine a) of the share has changed the password you can't connect because you need to supply the new password. If the remote (machine b) has had the password changed you can't connect because the password no longer is the same as needed on machine a.
What I'd do is to disconnect the shared drives on B and C. Then change the password for the user on all machines to make them the same. Obviously that's not necessarily the issue you have. But it's certainly a place to start.

Once you've made sure the credentials are uniform throughout and you've tried to browse the network using explorer. Please return with any and all errors you receive.

#5 ·
Typically when you remove the computer from the network and it doesn't have a connection to it outside, then the x will show. Once you reconnect to the network, your computer should be able to see the pastsdesktop and passilverpc again but the x may not disappear until you double click on them.

#6 ·
Two people have contacted me with answers to my post regarding a computer that is no longer in my network.

There doesn't seem to be a place for me to type my answer so I have found places to type but I don't know if they will be seen One of the people who has answered is "I Am A Lego". I didn't write down the other name. Please help me make sure they are getting my replies. Thank you so much.

Everytime I think I have answered someone a get a message that I have to type at least three letters.

#9 ·
I just noticed by browsing these responses, that I had this same issue in May after the upgrade to 1803. I remember that I had to go to a computer repair place to fix it. I can't afford to do that every time this happens. You are the first person on this site that recognizes that all I want to do is reconnect one computer to a working network. Could we attack the problem as if I am trying to connect one new computer to an existing working network (using the same name "ottiliegirl (\\patssilverpc) (S:)". Tell me how I would add a new computer to my working network. Thanks for helping.

#10 ·
Ok. We need to know which version of windows are on each machine. Also, did any of the machines have any updates installed before this issue occurred?

What happens in you, on the machine that can't connect, type, in the search bar, "\\Host_Machine_Name" without quotes and substitute the correct computer name. Does it open up the shares on that machine?

Lastly, how are IP addresses handed out. Are you using DHCP from a router or do they have static IP addresses.

#12 ·
All three computers running Windows 10. All three computers received update to KB4023057 during the period when the silver computer was not connected to the network. It was updated while we were in AZ. on 1/17.

WOW!! While typing in the information of the host machine I got a message that " the name could not be found". I forget exactly what the rest of the message was but I was directed to enter the network security code. I found the place with all the information. It had several numbers. I entered the first one which was for the password and the red X disappeared. I checked both other computers and the red X is gone and all computers are in the network and appear to be workiing. That was the best and simplest fix I got from anyone both this time and last May. Thank you so much for that answer. If all works well this evening I will mark it SOLVED in the morning. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.