Computer no longer recognizes cd drive - think problem is related to USB flash drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rjf

My computer no longer recognizes the cd drive/burner on my dektop PC, and I think the problem is related to a removeable USB flash drive.

It's a really old Compaq Presario with an added cd burner(drive d now), and the original cd rom(drive e). My PNY usb flash drive installed some software(drivers I think) when I 1st ran it, and shows up as drive f.

Worked fine a couple of times, but then the lights went out on the cd burner(drive d), it would not open, and it didn't even show up on "My Computer" either.

Searched on internet awhile, and read something about a flash drive problem, so I removed the flash drive from the USB slot, restarted the computer, and both cd drives re-appeared, and worked fine, as long as I removed the flash drive, and turned computer off after burning cd. But I forgot, and left it on for several hours, and now even when I remove the flash drive, and restart computer the 2 cd drives don't show up on "my computer". The cd rom(drive e) light comes on, and will open, but the burner(drive d) light is off, and will not open. Neither drive registers on "My Computer". The flash drive still reads as drive f, even with no drive d, or e.(lol)

Suggestions anyone?
Thanks in advance.

rjf

Make and model of main board or computer?

OS are you using?
Thanks for replying Alex.
From the Sysinfo tool:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 1, 32 bit
Processor: AMD-K6-2 processor, x86 Family 5 Model 8 Stepping 0
Processor Count: 1
RAM: 95 Mb
Graphics Card: ATI 3D RAGE LT PRO, 8 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 7655 MB, Free - 1410 MB;
Motherboard: Compaq, 043Ch, None, None
Antivirus: None

rjf

Sorry it took so long to reply back Alex.
Had to do the sleep-work thingie.

Couple of questions.
Will system restore bring back the deleted drivers/upper/lower filters? Because the computer has no internet connection.
Could I have a power supply problem? Sorry if the questions are stupid.

Thanks.

Go to the link furnished above. Click on the "Run Now" button and then choose to save it instead of run it. Put it on a USB drive and take it to the problem computer.

Or you can manually edit the registry as described below:

First, make a backup copy of the Registry before making any changes.

Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
Registry Editor starts.

1. In Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

2. Expand SYSTEM, and then expand CurrentControlSet.

3. Expand Control, and then expand Class.

4. Under Class, click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} .

5. In the right pane (topic area), click UpperFilters.

Note An UpperFilters.bak registry entry may also appear. To delete the UpperFilters registry entry, you must click UpperFilters and not UpperFilters.bak.

6. On the Edit menu, click Delete.

7. When you receive the following message, click Yes to confirm the deletion of the UpperFilters registry entry:
Are you sure you want to delete this value?

The UpperFilters registry entry is removed from the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} registry subkey.

Note Do not exit Registry Editor yet.

Delete the LowerFilters registry entry

1. In Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

2. Expand SYSTEM, and then expand CurrentControlSet.

3. Expand Control, and then expand Class.

4. Under Class, click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} .

5. In the right pane (topic area), click LowerFilters.

Note An LowerFilters.bak registry entry may also appear. To delete the LowerFilters registry entry, you must click LowerFilters and not LowerFilters.bak.

6. On the Edit menu, click Delete.

7. When you receive the following message, click Yes to confirm the deletion of the LowerFilters registry entry:
Are you sure you want to delete this value?

The LowerFilters registry entry is removed from the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} registry subkey.

8. Exit Registry Editor.

After that reinstall driver using this step:

To reload the CD-ROM/DVD-ROM/CD-R/W Drivers:

1. Please Right Click on the My Computer icons and choose Properties.
2. Click on the Tab marked Hardware
3. Click on the Device Manager Button

4. Click on the + next to CD/DVD DRIVES
5. The + sign will become a - sign and you may have a list of multiple drivers that drop down below. If so, each driver will need to be removed one at a time.

To remove a driver simply point the mouse to the driver, right click the mouse one time, and choose 'Uninstall.'

6. Continue to remove these drivers until there is no longer a heading for CD/DVD DRIVES.
7. Then look for IDE/ATA/ATAPI controllers and repeat the same steps to remove all of them as you did for the CD/DVD drives.

Note: When asked to restart, do not until all are uninstalled
8. The heading IDE/ATA/ATAPI controller will not disappear and all the controllers may not disappear after being uninstalled

9. Click on the X in the upper-right hand corner of the DEVICE MANAGER window.
10. Restart the system, and let Windows reload the correct drivers.
11. Test

rjf

Well,

I could not run the Mats_Run.dvd.exe utility. Said it needed both service pack 3, and .net 2.0. Went to delete filters manually, but ran into a problem. Am not showing the "Upper Filter" the instructions said in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318.

I made a screenshot:
http://img218.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=97199_registry_122_647lo.jpg

Awaiting further instructions.
Thanks.

I've had a long day and am about to go to bed. All I have time for now is to tell you that you might find some help by Googling these terms:

UPPER LOWER FILTERS CD WINDOWS REGISTRY "WINDOWS XP"

You might also try:

CD DRIVE DISAPPEARED REGISTRY "WINDOWS XP"

Entering quotes around a phrase makes Google look for that exact phrase so include the quotes around "Windows XP"

As you search, you might see something in the pages that you might want to add to or change some of those words.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online