computer no longer starts. error code 51208

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

burnout441

Hi there,

So my laptop will not start at all. I was streaming a video, and it kept freezing and looping so I decided to reboot my system because it seemed like everything was lagging a bit. On restart I got an error msg saying that windows could not be started because hal.dll was missing or corrupt. Please reinstall and restart.

I tried restarting a couple of times, and now I get an error msg that says

FILE \minint\system32\biosinfo.inf could not be loaded. The error code is 51208

Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit.

I should probably add that probably an hour before the problems started, my dog had knocked my laptop over onto the floor.

I have a sony vaio, running windows xp media centre edition. Sp3.

Did my laptop just die permanently?? Or my hdd for that matter?! Please help!

Try re-seating the hard disk. If it still does not work then try to repair the operating system.

burnout441

Reseated the hard drive...didn't work.

Just for kicks I tried to boot with system mechanic disk. It said
hardware-only disk scan:
Primary-master disk identity ERROR.
No disk to use; QDMA not loaded!

I don't have a copy of the same version XP running on my laptop, but had an older one which I tried using. Running the XP recovery console and using chkdsk, it stops at 28% completed and says the volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems.

Tried to reinstall xp and it said drive needed to be formatted because of errors. =( Tried to format and reinstall but on boot up it now says

Disk read error occurred.
Press ctrl alt del to restart.

And now I'm hearing clicking noises. So I'm thinking it's hard drive that has died.

Yes it seems that your hard disk is dead. The clicking noises indicate that there is a problem with your hard disk. But still there is some hope to recover the data. If possible convert your hard disk to external hard disk by purchasing an external casing and then see if it works.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!