1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer noise

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by holtzmjh, Nov 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. holtzmjh

holtzmjh Thread Starter

I have a Pentium 3 450 and it sounds like an industrial generator. In addition to being really loud it periodically sounds like it struggling to work. It's much like an old car that struggles to get up a hill. Do you think it is just a matter of replacing the fan or do you think it could be more serious. Thanks for the help.

2. Hanibal

Hanibal

either it is the HD making this noise or it is your Fan.

does the noise continue even when the HD is idle?

3. holtzmjh

holtzmjh Thread Starter

Yeah, it does it even when the hard drive is idle. It just sounds like the computer is on its last legs, it's really not that old, though.

4. Hanibal

Hanibal

in that case chances are it is one of the fans ( if you have more then one)
    either it is the power supply fan or the backup one if you have such a thing. or the fan on your video card. assuming you have one.

one way to make sure. try to locate the source of then oise. is it comming from the area of the PS,

cheers

5. holtzmjh

holtzmjh Thread Starter

Your right, I do have two fans. As soon as I get a chance I will open it up and try to locate the noise. Have you ever replaced the fan next to the power supply? It says not to open that area of the computer. Thanks for all your help.

6. deuce

deuce

If you are talking about the power supply fan, you might just want to replace the ps... but that is a little pricy. (at least it is more then just a fan) I have heard though about ps fan kits that let you replace the ps fan but don't remember anything else about it. I think I heard it here so I will search for the thread... :)

7. reeltime

reeltime

Yea fan kit for ps at most any computer store/Best Buy, etc...

8. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

Powersupplies use standard fan sizes. You could pic up one just about anywhere. Even radio shack. It would be best to order off the net and get a better quality one. They are usually
    80x80x25 mm fans

If it even is the PSU fan that is bad.

To install a new one, you usually have to unsolder the old fan wires from the board and solder in the new one or cut in splice.

It's pretty simple.

9. holtzmjh

holtzmjh Thread Starter

I would just like to thank all you guys for your help. This site is wonderful for people like me who would like to know more about computers. Thanks again.

10. deuce

deuce

Well... if it is your cpu fan... don't turn on your computer until you put a new one on.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59926

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice