computer not booting, and compatibility questions

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

amuffinattack

A few months back i had to buy anew cpu due to my old one burning up from dust caught under the fan. I didn't even know there was a space there for dust to get caught. Anyway since then i have been trying to learn what i can about computers as i go along repairing and upgrading parts. recently i went to clean my computer out and i kinda bumped my mother board pretty hard and since then i will no longer boot up, It starts and the fans run and everything but it doesn't boot and the LED light o the front doesn't come on either. So i am guessing that it is the motherboard i need to replace. I know its bad but i really don't remember my computers specs since i am still noobish in the whole computer area. I know the motherboard is 3-4 years old and is ASUS. If there is anyway to tell by looking at it i have yet to find out, if you know one you can post it and i will see what i can find. Anyway, i am sure this is what needs to be replaced and i don't understand all this computer lingo on the websites to order parts, when i got my new CPU is was kind of blind luck it was compatible. So i was wondering if you could help me find a mother board that would be compatible with my graphics card and my CPU. Becuase i just don't understand what it all means. This is the CPU that i do have AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition Heka 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Processor HDZ720WFK3DGI - OEM copy and pasted from my newegg receipt because i have no clue what it means. My graphics card i'm also unsure about. its geforce i know that, i want to say 6800 but i really don't know. it was a custom build computer from a friend of mine and he doesn't remember since it was built so long ago. it also has asus written all over it. i'm pretty much broke and my spending limit on a mother board is $100 so i really can't pay someone to help me. i plan on getting a new computer once i get a better job but untill then i need to get this one working so i can do school work and what not, i'm also a pc gamer.os is vista, sadly, but i don't think that matters much right now since it won;t boot. i know the info is vague and everything but any help would be nice. i really can't afford to keep dumping money into new parts so i am trying to get the best guess as possible the first time then go from there. My last question being do i need to install windows again if i get a new mother board because right now i just can not afford to buy a new copy since my friend put a copy on for me at no price. Any way to avoid reinstalling windows would be great, hell if i can find the same motherboard i would just buy that! If i get it working again the first thing i am doing is writing down the specs. thanks so much with any help.

Did something happen when you "bumped" it to make you believe that the board is dead? Sparks, smoke, noises, anything? If you haven't done so yet, check all your connections and cards in slots to be sure that nothing was loosened. It is not uncommon after working inside a case to have the RAM be loose or even a drive cable get pulled out part-way, even if you are not ham-handed.

We really need the model to help you. There are probably literally 100's of different ASUS machines, though ones with your config do narrow it down. See if you can find anything at all on the board. The new board would have to have exactly the same chipset if you don't want to reinstall. Windows can be moved from one machine to any other machine you want, no matter how dissimilar, but that would cost money for the program to accomplish that task.

It won't be hard to find a board that will work with that CPU, but most boards come with a CPU already. That would also mean reinstalling Windows. The fact that that is not the original CPU makes it all the harder for us to identify your board since we can't use that as a clue, either.

amuffinattack

No there was nothing that happened with the motherboard, i had everything unplugged and i had grounded myself. I did check all the cords and everything to make sure it was all seated correctly, should have mentioned that sooner. after taking the whole thing apart and unmounting the motherboard to find the number to get the make and model which is ASUS M3A76-CM. After doing this i decided to try and turn it on without the processor in it and it still does the same thing, turns on but no booting (didn't expect much, just seeing if it turned on at all) So could this mean it is the CPU? it is what i took out to clean.I've read that if i take it off the heatsink i should apply thermal paste to it, though i did NOT take it off untill after it stopped working and i was trying to trouble shoot. I doubt just the thermal paste is the issue though, right? Now i am afraid it is the processor. I know some motherboards beep, but mine doesn't make any sounds, i just think it doesn't beep.

EDIT: Though something COULD be unplugged i really doubt it, i don't know much about where everything is plugged in but i was careful not to pull anything to hard and made sure cords were out of the way and double checked everything that was plugged in. But now that i put the cpu back in it turns on for like half a second then shuts off, the light on the motherboard is on but it just stops. This makes me sad.

At least you know what board you have. THIS should be it.

Can the guy that built it take a look? I just don't see that you could have killed it dead that easily.

amuffinattack

Well i think i just put the cpu in wrong, once i messed with it again its back to not working the right way haha (turning on but not booting) he is an old friend from high school and since he made it for me i've moved about 4 hours away, or i would have. As of right now i am down to replacing one of two things, the cpu or motherboard. Any idea which would be the smarter choice?

I don't know how you could put the CPU in "wrong" without bending some pins. If it has pins. If it doesn't, making sure that it is fully connected and pressure evenly applied on it is crucial to making it work properly.

I'm not going to toss a coin and tell you one way or the other. But I think if I were you, I'd buy a board with a CPU already in it. It's cheaper for both that way, and you won't be picking the wrong one.

amuffinattack

Yeah that's not a bad idea. I'm just a child of technology, and very gung ho about getting things done that I want done. "The things you own end up owning you". I was looking and I did have some slightly bent pins, its really hard to tell, they are so damned small. I probably bent them trying to put it back in place after cleaning it. I should have just left well enough alone and cleaned it while it was in place. Hard lesson learned, what can you do? Would a computer still run but not boot if the pins were bent? I did bend them back into place by running a credit card through, which I had read in a few places would work. If not than I think that may be the major issue here, and thankfully under $100 to replace.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online