1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer not booting

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Andrew1221, Jul 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Andrew1221

Andrew1221 Thread Starter

Wasn't sure what the best category would be, hopefully this one is fine...

I'm kind of panicking because my computer isn't booting
    The computer is an assembled one, and it worked normally until yesterday. I bought it about a year ago
    Basically yesterday I rebooted it and it stayed in the loading screen. I tried to fix the problem in troubleshooting but it didn't work (I tried only the option to fix what was preventing windows from loading). I also tried to boot it in Safe mode and in the mode with lower audio and video quality. Safe mode didn't even show the loading symbol, while the lower quality one did but it stayed stuck in the loading screen...

About an hour/half an hour before it started giving me this problem it actually rebooted just fine
    The only thing I did afterwards was following a tutorial on how to make a game lag less, but there were no complaints about viruses and similar stuff in the comments. While flowing that video I only:
    - downloaded and installed the latest Visual C++ and CPU Core Parking Manager
    - changed in the advanced settings of the Power Options the "Turn off hard disk after" to 0 (so never)

If possible I'd like to solve it without losing files and applications...thanks in advance!

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Boot with a Windows setup DVD / USB memory stick. On second screen choose Repair. Then get to the Command Prompt. Find that CPU Core Parking Manager in whatever folder you placed it in and delete it. If you don't have a Windows setup DVD / USB memory stick, you can download MS Media Creation Tool on another computer and run it. And it will Generate a Windows setup DVD / USB memory stick.

If you can't delete the Parking thing, you are stuck. Because you can't get into Safe Mode, and Safe Mode runs only the bare minimum of Windows components that are absolutely required. You will probably have to re-install Windows. Visual C++ and setting power options will never cause Windows to fail. And the culprit is the Parking thing trying to tamper with CPU internals.

3. Andrew1221

Thank you! I have a problem though: the files are in C:, but I don't know the exact path...is there a way to find it from in the Command Prompt?

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

To search for a file named 'myfile.exe" from the root of C down to each subdirectory:

"DIR MYFILE.EXE /S"

If you don't remember how exactly it is spelt, use "my*.exe" where the * means match any group of characters.

"DIR MY*.EXE /S"

5. Andrew1221

New problem: C: is System Reserved, and doesn't show any file, it says it can't find them

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

OK. When you use the setup DVD, all drive letters are switched around. You have to type in C: D: E: and so on to find out which one has the Windows folder. That one is the C drive you knew.

7. Andrew1221

It worked! Thank you so much!!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1229903

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice