1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer not booting. ( ? :( )

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by faded, Feb 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. faded

faded Thread Starter

Hey guys. I'm pretty much floored, I have no idea what to do to this pc to get it to start up.

When I turn on the pc, it gets to the windows XP logo, restarts and repeats. Over and over.

I've tried to boot it in safe mode, with the last known working config, but alas, none have worked.

Anyone have any ideas with what i can do without exactly wiping the harddrive and trying to reformat? I would like to get some stuff that isn't backed up off the pc. >.> so reformating is definately my 'last resort.'

Thanks ahead of time. :)

2. unbidden

unbidden

At the Recovery Console try chkdsk /r

If that doesn't help, post back to this thread.

Have you done any hardware or software updates recently?

3. faded

faded Thread Starter

Currently running the chkdsk - No new hardware was installed, The pc decided to crap out after a scandisk or something was running.. I'm not entirely sure, Since the pc is my mothers, I brought it home with me so i can either fix it myself, or find someone to fix it. - I appreciate the response, and i'll get back to the thread after this chkdsk is done.

4. faded

faded Thread Starter

Chkdsk did not work. >.> Any other suggestions?

5. unbidden

unbidden

Unseat and reseat all internal cards (ram, sound, network, graphics, etc.), try to boot.

Enter the BIOS and set the defaults to 'default'... IOW not the optimal setting. If you can boot then check the device manager to see if there are any conflicts; if so uninstall the device and reinstall.

still no joy -

Return to the Recovery Console and run the fixboot command. If that is of no help, I'd opt for a repair installation of Win XP.

Don't forget to reset your bios to optimal.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!