1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer not connecting to internet etc.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by John817, Sep 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. John817

John817 Thread Starter

Hey all, we recently grabbed a wireless router and set it up in our apartment with 3 other computers. 2 of them are connected via the wireless and the third is connected by wire since it's in that room anyways.

Now the computer that's wired to the router is not connecting to the internet. When it was first installed, it worked out fine, but hours later it just stopped. I know it's a router problem because when we plug the computer in question directly to the cable modem, it works just fine.

Can any of you help? I saw some old article about a winsock key or whatever but this computer is on XP.

I'm sure the problem has to be something like that though because it has a TON of spyware on it. I ran spybot and ad-aware and deleted it all but then the computer wouldnt even connect to the internet straight through the modem. So I ran a system restore and I'm back where I started.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. springbrk200

springbrk200

To completely get rid of the spyware that could be causing this problem you need to run "Spy Doctor" and "Spy Sweeper". Several months ago I had a "Winsock error" on my computer. A winsock error will make it imposible to get on the internet on that computer. To fix a winsock error click start- run and type "regedit" once you get into the registry be very carefull. You could easily mess up your computer. Go the top and click "edit" then click "Find" and search for "Winsock". You will have to hit F3 a couple of times untill you find the folder "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MSWinsock.Winsock" Delete this and then restart you computer. You may need to be in safe mode to do this. Be carefull to not delete "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MSWinsock.Winsock.1". This is only a last resort. Windows will then recreat winsock fixing it. One I did this my internet started working right away. Run the spyware removers first they may fix the problem.
    P.S. Do you remember messing with the tcp/Ip settings because that could just as easily have caused this problem?

3. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

You say you can't connect to the internet but are you able to get an IP address and are you able to use the PING utility to test connectivity?

One more thing, make sure to check your network cable. I once spent hours troubleshooting my connection only to find that it was a faulty cable.

Rollin

4. John817

John817 Thread Starter

I don't believe I've messed with the tcp/ip settings. I've run "ipconfig /renew" to try and fix it and that did nothing at all...

As for the ip, it finds the ip of the gateway but when i try to ping websites i get a whole "[website] cannot be found make sure address is correct."

The thing is, right now when I open IE, it sits there a while and eventually doesn't do anything. I had deleted all the spyware on the computer (or everything that ad-aware and spybot could find) and tried IE, but then it just immediately brought up a "cannot display the page" error. So I system restored.

I'm positive the network cable works because when I unplug it from the router and plug it directly into the cable modem, the computer gets internet (something that didn't work after i deleted all the spyware). And the one that runs from the modem to the router definitely works too, because im on it wirelessly right now...

I do think its the winsock thing, but I'm gonna hold out a little while longer on that...

5. John817

John817 Thread Starter

Okay, I just searched through my registry for Winsock files and I only have them in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folder. I have none in the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT folder at all. Am I missing something? Or could they both have been deleted? Or never existed?

Also, whenever I try to run a full system scan with ad-aware, windows xp pops up a screen saying the computer will restart in 60 seconds (something about how DCOM or some 4-letter program had to shut down). It's kind of annoying when trying to fix something like this. Is this a windows security feature or something else?

I'm just full of questions, but this computer is really messed up, and i don't want to have to wipe it and start over...

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You have the Blaster worm it would appear, you must not be up to date on critical security patches for Windows.

You do realize that when you remove the direct connection from the modem to the computer and connect the router, you MUST power cycle the router or it won't connect, right?

7. John817

John817 Thread Starter

The computer was behind on security, I recently updated some patches and just installed SP2 on it.

I don't think I know what it means to power cycle the router... could you explain that? If that would solve it, things would be easier.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, I meant both the modem and the router. :) I mean physically unplug the power from the cable modem if you connect a different device to it, same with the router's WAN port.

9. John817

John817 Thread Starter

Ah, well I just turned the power off and on on both things and the computer no longer thought it was connected. I ran an "ipconfig /renew" again and sure enough now it's working. :) Thanks for all the advice; hopefully it will stay up this time...

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274500

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice