1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer not detecting network adapter

Discussion in 'Networking' started by damnmachines, Feb 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. damnmachines

damnmachines Thread Starter

i have internet from the same router on 2 other computers, one isnt working for some reason and im not sure why. on the router and the back of the computer the lights go on signalling that its linked together but the computer doesnt detect it. anyone got an idea?
    yes i tried resetting the router
    yes i tried uninstalling and reinstalling the router, not updating which i will do
    and yes its not the damn ethernet thing, i put in another ethernet pci card and tried it still didnt work.

2. Jack Horner

Jack Horner

Ping 127.0.0.1 this will check to make sure that TCP/IP is working on your computer. If it is OK, then ping your router.

3. squidboy

squidboy

This is your first step. Until the OS accepts your nic it will never connect correctly. Go into your device manager (for XP: r-click My Computer>Properties>Hardware (tab)>Device Manager (button) and find your network card. If you see a yellow exclamation (!) then that is your first issue. Follow your network card's installation procedure to install it correctly.

If your nic is installed correctly and Device Manager says 'this device is working properly' then let us know and we can troubleshoot from there.

4. damnmachines

i thought i did say that it was working properly.
    yes the network card is working properly, and as i said before i updated it and uninstalled and reinstalled it, no such luck. i even put in another network card that didnt do anything. im assuming its a problem on the computer.
    gah i need help

5. Jack Horner

Jack Horner

Have you tried to ping your NIC and the router? If you can ping the NIC, and not the router, then you probably have a bad cable.

6. damnmachines

nah i figured out the problem. i ran a few additional spyware programs just incase adware was blocking my internet, hijackthis said that one aklsp.dll was missing and that caused t he whole mess. i also had avg installed on the computer and since it was full of spyware somehow that file was infected and got deleted. fixed it its fine now!
    hooray im a friggin genius

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/331138

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice