1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Not Finding External Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BlueHatter, Dec 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BlueHatter

BlueHatter Thread Starter

Hello. I'm running into a problem with my PC connecting to one of my external hard drives and I'm not sure how to fix it. I have two external hard drives and both of them used to work just fine, but about a week ago I updated the USB drivers and ever since then the smaller external drive (a Wolverine drive) is no longer being found. The PC's running Windows 10, if it helps.

The Wolverine drive has two USB plugs on the cord to receive power from the PC (it doesn't have a separate power cord), and when I turn on my computer the hard drive does start up and turn on. If I unplug either of the two USB plugs the computer makes the USB chime sound, and if I plug either back in it makes the chime again, so the computer is finding that I'm plugging them in or unplugging them, but for whatever reason the drive isn't showing up anymore.

It used to show up as "Wolverine (L: )" in my computer's list of connected hard drives but it's not listed anymore.

I've tried looking up information online and most places just say to uninstall the USB drives through the Device Manager and then let them reinstall but, for whatever reason, my computer has about 28 different listings under the Universal Serial Bus controllers drop-down and I have no idea which to uninstall, and my mouse and keyboard are both USB-connected so if I uninstalled all of the drivers listed I'm not sure that I would be able to log back into my computer account after restarting.

I can't figure out how to fix this problem with my computer not connecting to my Wolverine external hard drive. Does anyone know how I might be able to fix this? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  2. HyperHenry

HyperHenry

First Name:
    Henry
    Sometimes just jiggling the cable works. Try going to search, type in Computer Management then go to Disk Management and see if it shows up there. Have you used the two drives together on this computer before?

3. BlueHatter

Yes, I've used two external hard drives on this computer before. I've had them both working for a few years now. I have three internal hard drives and two external, and all of them had worked fine. Now the Wolverine external hard drive isn't picked up, but all of the other drives are working just fine.

And no, it's not listed in Disk Management. It lists (C: ), Disk 2 partition 3, 160 Gig (E: ), 500 Gig (F: ), IOMEGA_HDD (M: ), and System Reserved. C:, 160 and 500 are the internal drives. IOMEGA_HDD is one of my external drives. I'm not sure what the other two are, Disk 2 partition 3 and System Reserved.

4. HyperHenry

HyperHenry

First Name:
    Henry
    I just had the exact same problem and it was solved by replacing the USB cord. I know it's very frustrating.

5. BlueHatter

Sorry for taking so long to respond. I suppose that replacing the USB cord is an option, though I'm not sure where to find another one to fit this, and with the two USB plugs on one cord. Though the hard drive does have a A/C power plug, I suppose I could just find a plug for that and a single USB cord.

But I don't think the cord is the problem, anyway. I tried plugging the hard drive into my laptop and it worked just fine, connected and everything. But for whatever reason it isn't working on my PC anymore...

6. HyperHenry

HyperHenry

First Name:
    Henry
    OK, maybe you need to update the USB and chipset drivers for your motherboard

7. BlueHatter

How would I go about doing that?

8. Grey03

Grey03

First Name:
    Benjo
    Just run this devmgmt.msc or you can simply search for device manager. Click and Right Click the Device you want to update. And select update driver.

9. BlueHatter

Oh, right. The problem is that I have no idea what is what in the Device Manager's USB drop-down. I've tried updating the first few and it says that they're up to date (but I haven't tried all of them yet). Here's a picture of what the USB section of the Device Manager looks like on my PC...

[​IMG]

This all started when I did update the USB drivers. The hard drive worked before the update, then I updated the drivers and it stopped working. It might be that an update didn't install correctly, but I have no clue which one in the list to uninstall and re-install, and I'm leery about uninstalling all of them because my keyboard and mouse are both USB and I'm not sure if they'll work when I restart the computer-- I wont be able to log into my PC without tem...

10. Grey03

Grey03

First Name:
    Benjo
    Right click that Drivers and Select properties and on the driver tab, check if you have this image below. Where you can choose to rollback driver.

upload_2017-12-15_8-51-49.png

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  11. BlueHatter

Should I do that for each of the ones listed? All 27 of them? (I'm not sure why there are so many, but I guess that's another matter.)

12. Grey03

Grey03

First Name:
    Benjo
    Actually im not also sure what or where you will rollback haha. But you said that you update all the drivers right ? and you noticed that the problem came after updating ? ( Im talking about USB DRIVERS btw, just making sure hehe)

13. Grey03

Grey03

First Name:
    Benjo
    And also , Did you try to plug your external hard drive to other computer ?Did it work ? I just want to know if your external hard drive is not the problem.

14. HyperHenry

HyperHenry

First Name:
    Henry
    You go to the website of your computer manufacturer or the motherboard manufacturer id it's a custom build. They should have drivers for their hardware. Updating the drivers through devise manager is a waste of time as it'll always tell you you have the best driver.

15. BlueHatter

Yeah, that's right. A program I have that clears up junk files and such said various drivers were out of date on my PC so I let it update them all. After that the hard drive stopped showing up on the PC. Kind of wish I wouldn't have let it update now, heh.

I did try the external hard drive on another computer, my laptop, and it worked just fine, connected, loaded up, everything. So it's just something with my PC. When I plug the USB cords into the PC USB sockets the computer makes the USB connected chime sound, and makes it if I unplug them, so it's picking up that something is being connected. It's just not seeming to load the drive...

My PC was a custom build and I'm not completely sure what the motherboard is. Is there a way I can look that up on the computer without having to open up the tower? Also, the USB plugs that aren't finding the drive, they're not part f the motherboard, they're a separate set of USBs. I have a set on the motherboard and then a separate set as well. Not sure how to update those.

Though I did also try the hard drive in the motherboard USB slots and got the same results... So the computer isn't finding the external hard drive via the motherboard USB slots or the separate USB slots...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1200749

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice