1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer not loading after upgrade...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Asurah, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Asurah

Asurah Thread Starter

Hey there.
    I upgraded both my Graphics card and my PSU today, from a generic 300w to Seasonic 500ET, and 8500GT to 9800GT, but after I plugged everything in, and starting the computer up, I see nothing on the screen, as if the computer was shut down. However the screen IS working, because when you plug it in it's starting up like it should, but immediately goes to this "standby" mode as if the computer was shut down.
    I tried my brother's monitor, same problem. Tried re-installing the old card back, and it's still not working, on both screens. Tried restarting my Bios, made sure everything is plugged correctly, but still no cigar.

What can I do? It seems like something is seriously ****ed up, it's like everything is working but nothing is showing on the screen. Did I mess the PCIE slot up? Is something malfunctioning on the motherboard?
    Please help...:(:(

2. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

Come here dear boy, have a cigar....

The first thing to check will be the connections. Got frustrated many times myself because of forgetting to reconnect my stuff to the PSU.

First thing to check is the new graphics card. Try reinstalling it to the PCI-E slot and double check the manual. Does it need an external power connector or it just takes power from the PCI-E slot?

Did you notice anything unusual with the PCI-E slot during the initial install? How much force did you use?

Do you listen your computers fans while the screen goes to standby? If the PC stops completely (no fan etc) try reinstalling the CPU heatsink just in case.

3. Asurah

Asurah Thread Starter

When I removed my old PSU I made a list of all the connections that were plugged, and when I put the new one in I made sure everything was plugged.

The new GPU does need an external power connector, and I did connect it. The card seems to be working - powers up and the fan is working great when I start the PC up... but there is no image on the screen.

I did use some force on the PCI-E slot when I removed the old card, because I forgot it had a removal-mechanism-thingy-that-needs-to-be-pushed, but I don't think it was that forceful. I've tortured hardware much much worse than that before... should'nt be this fragile really.

As far as fans go, all of them seems to be working - PSU, CPU and GPU all work great. I also hear all the beeps and noises that usually occur when I load up my PC, all that seems to be missing is the screen really.

I don't think it's a power problem, seems to me like something's ****ed with the motherboard... I'll take it to the lab tomorrow, see if they can make anything out of it.

4. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

Does your motherboard have an integrated graphics chip by any chance? By reseting the BIOS the priority of adapters may changed to defaults.

Or you can be plugging your monitor to the integrated adapter's vga slot and not the new card's :p (Just joking here but believe it, actually happened to my friend).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758541

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice