1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer not powering on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BestHedgehog, Jan 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BestHedgehog

BestHedgehog Thread Starter

This is sort of a continuation from my last post here. I own a Dell XPS 435 MT, and it wouldn't power on one day. We figured out that it needed a replacement power supply. Now, after a game of League it randomly shut down, the power light on the front is just glowing amber, the motherboard light looks fine, too. I'm not entirely sure what is going on. Any ideas, everyone? I'm hoping it's just the power supply again.

2. C141

C141

What PSU did you replace it with? Make of, Model?

3. BestHedgehog

This is the one i replaced it with.

[​IMG]

4. C141

C141

Did you purchase it locally? Or order it from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Power-AGS-550W-Dual-SATA/dp/B001LJZPQI/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top or other online store? I would have it tested as it's really not a quality PSU. Amazon as you see, has it for $25.00 & $7.25 of that is for shipping. You just can't get quality at those prices. If you find yourself again shopping for a replacement then have a look at PSUs made by Corsair, Seasonic. OCZ, Antec. Look for units that have an 80+ rating. Good units also have a bit of heft to them. Cheapos are barely adequate for paperweights. Stick with quality brands & read the reviews. Newegg.com is a good place to start.
    Also, I'd give the MB a close examination for possible swollen capacitors. And while you have that side cover off, have some canned air handy & blow out the dust if needed.

5. BestHedgehog

It's been a couple months since I bought it, and I picked it up from a repair shop who said it was reliable. In hindsight it was probably a poor choice. Paid like $60 for it at the time, wasn't really thinking about it, but I will have to do some testing. It does seem like the power supply for sure now, and computer is freshly dusted.

6. C141

C141

Perhaps the shop you purchased it from will be kind enough & honest to test it & replace it if faulty. It appears you bought it near the end of May, not very long ago. PSU testers are also available [check Newegg & other reputable sites] at reasonable prices & probably are very similar or same as what the shop would have/use. Post back & let us know what you find out.

7. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

1. Disconnect the power lead, press the ON button on the computer for at least 10 seconds. Reconnect the power lead and try and boot up.

DANGER! DON'T DO THIS BELOW UNLESS YOU ARE CAREFUL OR KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. YOU MIGHT DAMAGE YOUR COMPUTER AND/OR YOURSELF. If not confident, take it to a repair shop:
    2. If you are confident enough to, try and jumpstart the PSU with the paperclip trick http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khpnx21oydg . This will tell you if the PSU is dead (a power light glowing does not necessarily indicate a working PSU).

3. Check your power button is connected to the motherboard. If it was me I would try and start the computer with a screwdriver by shorting the power pins rather than using the button. http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/305911-12-start-computer-screwdriver

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084499

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice