1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer not powering on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by badcbr1000, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. badcbr1000

badcbr1000 Thread Starter

hello,

can someone please help.. when i hit the power button on cpu all i get is a flicker and then nothing. i already replaced all wiring and replace the power supply and the ram. could it possibly be the power button causing my concern. thanks

2. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

Hi...This flicker could be a fan starting and stopping immediately. Open your case so you can clearly view the inside and check the fan (most likely the CPU fan) and see what happens. Then please post back.

Make sure you connected your wiring correctly. Reffer to mobo's manual for details.

Did you remove CPU or it's fan/heatsink? Check if the wire powering the fan is correctly inserted in your mobo.

In order to test your power button you must remove the plastic frontal/metal panel of your box. See the "real" button inside? Press it and watch. Clear from dust if neccessary.

If you don't have a frontal panel you could try cutting the wire that comes from the button and goes to mobo and then bring together the copper edges for a second. This will work as a switch and the PC will start. But do not do this if you are not used to mess around with electronic devices.

3. badcbr1000

hello, all the wires are correct. the cpu all of a suddon emmitted this problem. i havent moved the computer. i was having this problem intermedally and when i powered down the other day and tryed to power back on this happened. when i hit the power button all the fans light for a split second and then nothing. i wait for about 30 seconds and try again and the same thing occurs.

4. lefty1953

lefty1953

Did you just build this PC? If so try starting off with just the CPU,1 Stick of memory and the graphics card. Disconnect all drives and then add 1 at a time until you find what is causing the problem. If the first solution doesn't work it would seem you are getting a short in the system and would need to be sure you don't have the motherboard shorting out against the case. And the CPU not being seated or the fan working on it like mentioned above would cause this.

5. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

Your machine starts so it can't be the power button...Let me ask you a question. You mentioned replacing your power supply with a new one and the problem consists. Did you have any power failures in your area? Did your PC shut down due to a power breakdown or something? If you have a new power supply and all the wires are placed good the problem can be on the motherboard or another part. But you also replaced your RAM.

It could be CPU overheating too. Did you notice strange behavior recently while running your PC? How long does your machine work before shutting down? You could check your heatsink/fan. Clear them from any dust and make sure they are steady on their place.

6. badcbr1000

i built the system about a year ago. havent had any power surges or power failures. the cpu never starts and runs. it flickers for a split sec and the nothing. the is got the isolating washers between the case and the mobo. i havent tried removing everything yet , such as the video card , drives, exc. , and leaving only the power cable to the mobo to the power supply and seeing what happens then

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/589854

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice