1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer not reading my cd drives

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by transcriptionist, Nov 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. transcriptionist

transcriptionist Thread Starter

My computer isn't reading anything I put into my cd drives. This is a recent problem. When I used to put in a disk, it would automatically run but now when I try to search files and folders, neither of these drives show up.

What should I do???

2. dannan14

dannan14

i am currently having the same problem with my HP DVD Writer 1070d. About 2 weeks ago it stopped showing up on my list of drives. i am running Vista Basic 64-bit. My drive may simply be bad as it has always (machine was built in August) made occasional high pitched noises, but the tray still opens and closes and the led will come on when inserting a disk.

Device manager says the drivers cannot be found. Updating them says they are fine. grrrrrrrrr

i uninstalled the drive and rebooted. Vista told me that the driver did not load correctly and i should contact the manufacturer. Well, the HP site is where i went first when i saw that the driver was the apparent problem. Not only can you not download a driver for this drive on that site, but you have to jump through many hoops just to finally figure out that the site is worthless. No disk came with the drive. i built the machine myself and it was definitely working for 2 months before this problem began.

Autoplay does not work and as i said before i cant see the drive. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

4. dannan14

dannan14

Thank you very much it did in fact solve my problem. Hopefully the OP will find his solution there as well.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/766058