1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer not recognizing my external hard drive.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by forlornhope, Apr 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. forlornhope

forlornhope Thread Starter

Hey! In a previous post, I was having huge problems with BSOD errors and overheating. Well, I had a friend come and see if he could fix it. He did, but now my computer won't recognize my external hard drive. It doesn't show up at all in My Computer. I tested some other usb devices like my flashdrive and SD card reader and they all worked. Then I tried plugging my external hard drive into another computer and it recognized it right away. So it just seems like my laptop is the problem not the drive. Any help in getting it to show up would be much appreciated. My computer has Windows XP Pro and the hard drive is a Seagate 250gb. Oh! It does show up in Disk Management but it isn't assigned to any letter drive. I tried to assign it to one but it didn't really do anything.

2. TekTime

TekTime

Is your computer an "older" computer? Some systems that were purchased more than 3-5 years may have a BIOS limitation which may cause hard drives larger than 127GB (or so) to not be detected in Windows. A workaround for that is to partition the drive to two 125GB partitions, or update the BIOS if a newer BIOS supports larger drives.

Your issue may not be related to that BIOS limitation though.

3. forlornhope

It's a HP Pavilion ze2000 notebook that I bought back in 2006. So I guess it might qualify as an 'older' computer. But the external hard drive worked on it before I had this guy fix it. I don't think that's quite the problem. Unless he rolled the drivers back to older versions. I'll try to find a newer driver for the bios and see if that helps.

4. TekTime

TekTime

Ok since it was detected before being "repaired" that's rather odd. Do you know what your friend did when he "fixed" it?

5. forlornhope

I haven't been able to talk to him recently but I remember him telling me that a virus removed an important file which was causing the BSOD errors so he reinstalled it. He also told me not to turn automatic updates on again. The other stuff kind of escapes me at the moment. Sorry. Today I tried assigning the external harddrive to a letter drive and then I right clicked on it and went to 'Open'. Lo and behold it opened just fine. But.. it still doesn't show up in My Computer. >.>

6. Bernardo

Bernardo

And you are able to read the files on it?

7. forlornhope

All the files seem to be fine. :/

8. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    with the external connected look in Admin Tools-Computer Management-Disk Management. Does the external show up there?

You need to find out why he said Do Not turn on Automatic Updates. Was he talking about Widows updates? I have them set to Automatically Check for Updates but not download them until and if I decide to download and install.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915727

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice