1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Not Responding

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by telomeres, Jan 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. telomeres

telomeres Thread Starter

I just went to format this old peice of **** computer from win98 to win2k. The cdrom is shot in it, giving about 50% work rate. I got to the point in the install where it says "Starting Windows 2000" at the bottom on the blue screen and it hung for a while, I assumed because the cdrom. Then an error poped up about a .dll file and something about the harddrive (should have read it closer ), and to restart the computer and try again. I replace the cdrom with one from another machine that i know works, and try to give it another go. Now the computer doesn't even boot anything. The power turns on and it sits at a black screen.

I've tried reseating the the ram and video cards, and cleaning it out some since it is filthy.

another funny thing is that the power and reset buttons don't work for turning it off either. you have to throw the switch on the powersupply to get it to turn off.

the problem is that nothing is happening when the computer turns on. it doesn't even load the boot sequence. the power turns on and sits at a black screen, and the light on the monitor flashes green.

Can anyone tell me what the problem might be?

2. prunejuice

prunejuice

Any beeps on start up?

3. telomeres

telomeres Thread Starter

no beeps, no post :(

4. bigbear

bigbear

I would say more than likley the PSU has failed, that is where I would start can you get hold of a spare to test?

5. telomeres

telomeres Thread Starter

there is power, no problems there. :\

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

telomeres, hi, and welcome.

We don't use language here that has to be board censored as in your first post.

7. ~Candy~

Just because the power supply puts out a bit of power does not mean that it's working properly.

Can you test the output with a meter?

8. telomeres

telomeres Thread Starter

tried diff PSU, no change

9. ~Candy~

Monitor works on another system? Is this an onboard video card or add in card? If add in, can we test another card?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/431670

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice