Computer- not sending a signal to my monitor...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ginxed999

At least thats what I think...

My computer was in another room for a while- so i decided to pull it out and clean the dust and hair with my little can of air... but when i tried starting it up the monitor was blank- so i figured it was the monitor and plugged my other monitor up too the computer and it still wasnt working- ... so i tried putting in another video card- still nothing... (the origional video port is connected to the mother board)

during startup it has all the regular sounds of the hard drives starting- the disk drive... everything...

I checked the cords- power cables... and all was connected-

is there anything im forgetting to check? hard drive? mother board? :confused: :confused: :confused:

thanks!

If you have an old pci vid card give that a try. how old is the computer?

ginxed999

i dont have a PCI- i have an AGP card and open slot and that didnt work-

the computer is probably about 4-5 years... its my wifes computer- and her ex-husband had put it together -_-

Even better, what exaclty is in the computer, what type of moniter, and what was it's setup originally when it stopped working.

And what did you do with the 'can o' air'?

ginxed999

in the computer:
2 hard drives
2 cd-roms (1 cd-r and 1 dvd)
not sure on what Pentium- probably a 4- mhz im not sure on- as with ram-
it looks like a nvidia mother board...
i was never on the PC- just thought i'd get it fixed so my wife would have something to use lol

can o' air went off to clean other electrical items- all are working fine... (y)

Basically, i'm asking did you plug the monitor back in exaclty how you unplugged it when you took it to clean. And do you think you damaged it in the cleaning. Where do you think you did, and how, if so?

Like an annoying exam question.

If a moniter stops working i dont take stuff out of the system first. I'd see what i did wrong with the monither itself and leave the system as is untill I'm sure. And then look back later to double check.

When you used the agp card the onboard video was still enabled , that may explain why the agp didn't work. The reason I asked if you had an old pci card kikin around was to give it a try, and if you get a display you can get into the bio's and disable onboard video, then try the agp card again.

Anon23 said:
Basically, i'm asking did you plug the monitor back in exaclty how you unplugged it when you took it to clean. And do you think you damaged it in the cleaning. Where do you think you did, and how, if so?

If a moniter stops working i dont take stuff out of the system first. I'd see what i did wrong with the monither itself and leave the system as is untill I'm sure. And then look back later to double check.
He has tryed two different monitor's!
you may wan't to read his initial post:rolleyes:

during startup it has all the regular sounds of the hard drives starting- the disk drive... everything...
is this including the "beeps" in the begining? I'm not sure about the onboard video cards, but usually there are some uncommon beeps when something's wrong with the video card.
maybe you should check the cables of the monitors and the connector to the motherboard.

ginxed999

i think i have one somewhere... either that or i gave it to my parents for their computer- bleh... thats what i get for being nice- lol ill call them up and see if they still have it- and hopefully they will and ill try it out

ginxed999

Anon23 said:

well i didnt take the inside of the tower completly apart- removed the fans cleaned and replaced... removed some of the cables but i marked them with a peice of tape so i knew where they went...

the monitor is still working i tried it on my other computer just to make sure... although i wish it didnt so i could give it a couple of whacks to help with the frustration... :D lol

Heres a long shot!

Did you unplug your cmos batter at all. Maybe its a problem with the bios or something. Or atleast a thing to take off your check list!

You can have some bios settings that affect your moniter or video, cant you?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts