1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer not starting up after installing new PSU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thee_hiro, Feb 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thee_hiro

thee_hiro Thread Starter

I decided a few weeks ago to upgrade my computer so that it may run a few games that I like on PC (Skyrim, civ v, many others). After installing both a new PSU (EVGA 600B) and graphics card (Sapphire Dual-X R9 280) to my HP Pavillion p6687c, it will not start at all.

Now just so you know, I am not too familiar with the structure of a computer. I followed the installation instructions and watched several tutorials on what plugs in where, all to end up with eagerly attempting to turn on my new and improved computer and failing. I plug it into the wall, flip the on power switch in the back which lights up a green light in the tower, and push the on/off button with no response, not even the fans start up. Did I fry the MOBO? Is it a faulty PSU? I'll test tomorrow to see if my old PSU works, hopefully someone could give me some advice other than that. I probably shouldn't have gotten into buying parts for my computer until I had a full understanding of how it all works... I just really wanted to game heh. If you need more information in order to help me let me know!

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Hi and welcome to TSG.

First thing to do is, as you said, put the system back to its original specs (old PSU back in and new GPU out) and see if it runs. Damage is a possibility and a fault PSU is a possibility.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142857

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice