Computer Not Starting

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dpfonts

I bought a new computer desk and completely took my system apart so I could install the computer in this new desk. I marked all cables so I would put the computer back in the same condition as when I started. When I started the computer everything seamed to start except my LCD monitor was not getting a signal from the computer the screen was black. After trying a couple of times I hooked up an older 15" monitor. I seemed to get a signal in the beginning but after minutes the screen was black. I booted the computer again in Safe Mode and the computer booted OK. I tryed Safe Mode a few times and it booted OK each time. How can I get my computer to work correctly?

dpfonts

telecom69

Gone but never forgotten
Go to Start—Run—type “msconfig” (without the quotes)—Startup tab—uncheck everything (click Disable All)—click OK—restart computer. If this allows pc to boot into normal mode, go back into msconfig and recheck only your anti-virus, spyware and firewall applications. Close and reboot. If this doesn’t work, do the following.

Press the F8 key repeatedly as soon as you reboot until you get to the window with the menu, press the up or down arrow keys (the cursor keys) until you get a menu. Select the step by step option. Here you will need to press “y” for each option to load. This could take a while, as it will load many files one by one. The one which doesn’t load will be the file or driver which doesn’t allow normal booting. Then you will need to go back into Safe Mode and replace whichever file or driver was corrupt with a good version.

dpfonts

Using Start—Run—type “msconfig” and Disable All and restarting computer the same thing happened. After trying to load Windows the computer screen stayed black.

I then rebooted in Safe Mode and at the menu, I didn't have an option of step by step. I have Windows XP. I tryed 3 of the options below:

Debugging Mode - the screen stayed black after trying to load Windows

Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked - the screen stayed black after trying to load Windows

Safe Mode with Command Prompt - Safe Mode loaded with a window called cmd.exe

How can I get to the step by step mode?

dpfonts

Odd problem. Since you really only disconnected and reconnected hardware why should you have what appears to be a setting/software problem, since you can boot up in safe mode. Go into the monitor settings and lower the screen resolution and refresh rate. Using the 15" monitor will it boot up normally? You could also try in safe mode doing a system restore.

dpfonts

The screen resolution was set at 800 x 600 for the 15" monitor. I did a system restore to the day before I installed the new desk. I then reboot to the 15" monitor and got a black screen.

I then reconnected the 19" LCD monitor and rebooted and the system rebooted and worked fine. Everything seems to be working OK.

Thank you so much for your help!

dpfonts

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online