computer not turning on help!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Cindy0515

Hi
I have a Pentium 4 1500 gateway. I turn on the computer and it starts to load.
I see the Windows screen then the computer just shuts down and restarts again.
It has done this around 40 times now in 4 days and just wont turn on.
Is this some kind of short somewhere in the computer.
I also disconnected it from the power source and tried a new one and still the same thing.
Can anyone give me advice what it could be>

Thank You
Cindy

There are many possible causes, but most would indicate a hardware failure or a temperature problem (if the CPU fan had failed or the heat sink had become dislodged)

But to eliminate a software problem, tap F8 twice per second from power up until you get the Safe Mode menu, select Safe Mode without networking.

If it boots to that, its likely a Windows issue. If it still restarts its likely hardware as above.

Post back with results.

hi cindy,
it's a common problem, but usually easy to fix.
just boot from a win xp cd, choose r for repair then it asks for the windows installation and administrator password sometimes, just put those in, then at the command prompt type chkdsk /r it recovers any bad sectors on the disc and you should be good to go.
if that doesn't work you'll probably have to do a repair install which takes about the same amount of time.

good luck.

Cindy0515

hi thanks for your quick response

I tried to boot in safe mode and wouldnt work
i also tried the xp cd and it took the computer a little further but still shut off
The computer sounds a little funny so it must be the hardware problem.
That I have no clue about so I guess it needs to go for repair.
Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank You
Cindy

i see a lot of computers that shut off randomly like that because the capacitors are swollen and bad. but the capacitors don't have to be swollen for the main board to be bad. try booting with only the hard drive plugged into the mother board, then all you'll have running is the processor, ram, motherboard, and hdd. if it still doesn't boot, you know it's one of these components. random reboot, in my opinion after the check disk thing is usually a motherboard issue. power supply only a small percentage of the time

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online