1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer not turning on properly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by trunten, Jan 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. trunten

trunten Thread Starter

When I turn on my computer it does one of four things.

1. It turns on normally
    2. It turns on, but no data goes to the monitor and justs sits there with the busy light on.
    3. Turns on with two long beeps, but still no data going to the monitor.
    4. Turns on with 1 long beep, 2/3 short beeps. I've checked the video card and everything is fine, at least it seems like it.

I'm not sure whats wrong. The video card's red light (error) isn't turning on and the green light is always on.

2. brianF

brianF

My opinion I would reseat the memory, possibly it is not seated properly when cold, and after if warms a little it makes good contact. Reseating processor wouldn't hurt either

3. trunten

trunten Thread Starter

That didn't work, or I probably didn't seat it right again. I don't know if its the seating of anything. My computer's been working with no problems and I didn't open it at all for the past 3 months.

4. ratchet

ratchet

trunten,
    Brianf is correct, try this

One Beep to Three Beeps
    One beep = refresh error, two beeps = parity error, and three beeps = base 64k memory error. For all three error codes:
    1. Try taking out your RAM sticks and reseating them.
    2. If that does not fix the problem and you have more than one bank of RAM, take out the first bank of RAM and move the second bank of RAM to the first bank's slot (leave the first bank of RAM out and then power up your PC to test it) -you may have a bad SIMM or DIMM. If the RAM you had in bank two works fine in bank one's slot, then the RAM that was in bank one is bad.
    3. If both solutions fail, replace your motherboard.

Here is where found this,
    http://www.dalantech.com/bios-codes.shtml

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64204

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice