1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Computer not turning on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Marc28, Dec 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marc28

Marc28 Thread Starter

I recently decided to change the power supply of my prebuilt computer because it was making a lot of noise. I changed from an ATNG 800 watt power supply to an EVGA SuperNova 1000G3. When I press the power button nothing turns on. I tested the power supply to see if it was the problem. The fan of the power supply spun for a second then automatically turned off. Does this mean that the power supply is broken?

There is also a cable that I’m unsure of where to connect it to the power supply. The cable is connected to the front ports. Is this preventing the computer from powering on?
    I included a picture of the cable and a few pictures of the inside of my computer. Did I plug anything incorrectly?

Case: Inwin 303
    Motherboard: MSI X99A Raider
    New power supply: EVGA SuperNova 1000G3

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you guys!

Attached Files:

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Despite all your attachments. which I appreciate you have done your best with - it is well night impossible to advise you on why the system will not boot
    I suggest if you have NOT already done so you read the PSU manual carefully
    https://www.evga.com/support/manuals/files/750-850-1000G3.pdf

The cable you have shown in your attachment is a SATA power connector
    I cannot of course see the other end of the cable and therefore I do not know - where it is connected to.
    HOWEVER the front ports of a motherboard do not - in the general meaning of front ports connect to the power supply.
    It appears that it MAY be the connection for a disc drive - if your case has one and the SATA end on your picture connects to a SATA power lead from the PSU - NOT to the PSU directly.
    SEE the image on this link
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Duttek-Ada...r=1-1-spons&keywords=sata+male+to+molex&psc=1

PLEASE NOTE I do not know what the other end of this cable connects to, it MAY not be terminated as shown in the link above.

Unfortunately as I said the other pics do little to assist in why it will not work.

I suggest you start by following the guide on page 4 and 5 of the manual - link is above paying special attention to
    Q. Does it matter which end of the cable I plug into the power supply?

A: Yes, the connections going to the power supply will not have “break downs” like the EPS (CPU) has 4+4 on one

side and full 8-Pin on the other. Check each cable as it is labeled appropriately to match the power supply side,

and connect only the same ‘‘matching” cable directly to the power supply as referenced on each connector.

Q: My EVGA Power Supply includes (2) EPS cables for my motherboard, do I need to connect up both?

A: Motherboards only require (1) 4+4 or 8-Pin EPS connection

That all said I would examine carefully where this cable is connected to - the one you appear to show as connected to front ports
    https://forums.techguy.org/attachments/be44a300-3001-40a6-849d-2c6578aeeed5-jpeg.267338/

as that is, as I said a male SATA power connection. Where it goes to on the other end I do not know. HOWEVER it is not likely to be the cause of the failure of the computer to boot.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  3. lynx1021

lynx1021

I saw something in your first picture that looks like a controller box for your Thermal Take water cooler that doesn't have a power connector going to it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1219997

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice