1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer not turning on

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dragoncdf, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dragoncdf

dragoncdf Thread Starter

Sometimes while visiting club.live.com with
    firefox browser and playing one of the flash games the computer monitor
    loses the signal like the computer turned off but the
    computer,keyboard,and mouse are still lit up like it's on. That's the
    first part, the second is twice when turning on the computer the main
    part turns on but nothing on the monitor and the keyboard
    mouse don't light up.It just sits there with the hard drive light on. I
    end up disconnecting the computer and opening it up to get it to work
    again. The computer was bought September of 2004. I'm thinking it's the hard drive. I've run my anti virus program and spy bot search and destroy and found nothing. The turning off problem started a week and a harlf ago the not turning on happed on July 2 and today. When it did it today it was after it cut off while I was playing one of those flash games on firefox.

2. dragoncdf

dragoncdf Thread Starter

anybody?

3. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Welcome to TSG....

With the monitor loosing signal like it is being shut-off at the computer I think it might be the video card loosing signal like if you pulled the video connector off the rear of the card.

When you went into the inside of the computer to make it work what did you do inside the computer?

4. dragoncdf

dragoncdf Thread Starter

I made sure the wires were all connected. I thought it might be the video card but what about when I go to turn it on and the power light and the hard drive light are the only ones that come on the keyboard and mouse don't light up?

5. The Hound

The Hound

If the keyboard and mouse don't light up, you're probably not clearing POST--no video detected might do that--no RAM detected also would do that. Do you normally hear one 'beep' when the computer first powers up? and are you hearing that same 'beep' when the keyboard and mouse don't light up?

You could also be overheating---if the machine cuts off, you open the case and take a few minutes to start it again, it may cool down enough to start again. You should boot with the side off the case--make sure all fans are clean and running. Put a regular house fan next to the open case and try it for a while--

6. monkofevil

monkofevil

I think it's a Power Supply problem,
    I had a similar problem in one of my old Hand Crafted pc's.
    I swapped the PS and everything worked great.
    Does your PS have enough wattage to supply for all your components, with a little extra?
    If not, I bet that your system has a teeny tiny short somewhere, and it draws that little extra amount to kill you hardware. Worth a check.

7. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Check your monitor cable
    Mine has been squashed and i have to twist it otherwise i lose my monitor signal

8. dragoncdf

dragoncdf Thread Starter

Nope doesn't beep when I turn it on. When it turns on I hear the fan as it first powers up. I don't think overheating is it because the first time it wouldn't turn on it had been off for 4 - 5 hours. I'm running speedfan and it says my hard drive is at 31C,my cpu is at 52C,and my internal temp is at 42C. One more thing I can't make sure the video card is seated all the way as it's a intergrated video card. I've also checked all my wires connecting to the computer and found no problem with the power cord or the monitor cable.

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

Probably classic psu problem as already suggested. be careful if it's cheap and blows it could take the motherboard and hard drive with it as often happens.

10. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

I would call Gateway and find out what power supply part number that you can go to that would give you more wattage or power for your computer. You have to be careful sometimes manufacturers have power supplies that are made specifically for that motherboard and if you use the wrong one they go poof!.

11. dragoncdf

dragoncdf Thread Starter

Here is a link to the power supply it came with http://support.gateway.com/s/POWER/102015/102015nv.shtml Again the computer was bought in 2004 I wouldn't think it would already be having trouble. Gateway said to do a system restore but my computer won't let it. When I select a date it boots back up and says it can't restore to that date. they also said to move the graphic accelerator down till the problem stops. I moved it down one notch and so far no problems but it usuall a little while before it does it again. The last time I opened the computer I noticed a lot of dust which I plan to clean out tomorrow. Also picked up some compressed air.

12. The Hound

The Hound

13. monkofevil

monkofevil

Hound's right;
    Manlier power supply, de-dust the mechanism.
    I don't think the video drivers will change anything, but you might want to try if neither of the aformentioned ideas work.

14. dragoncdf

dragoncdf Thread Starter

I've been getting the video drivers straight from intel's website specific to my video card. It's been about 3 to 4 months since I last updated those as no new drivers have been released.

15. dragoncdf

dragoncdf Thread Starter

Here's a update it happened again. This time I wasn't on that site I mentioned. I took the side off and powered on I noticed all fans running. I tried some of the stuff Gateway said removed ram and hard drive and put back. Didn't help. Also my usual open up the case and check the connections didn't work. I paid more attention this time when it happened. When I powered on after the monitor seemed to lose the signal the hard drive stayed on aas well as the fans. Usually when I cut on the computer I can hear the fan for a second before not hearing it. When it refuses to come on the fans stay load.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!