1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer not working after RAM Upgrade!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HUNGRYBOY40, May 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HUNGRYBOY40

HUNGRYBOY40 Thread Starter

I recently upgraded my RAM, i had a problem that was as simple as my RAM didn't go in correctly, and that was fixed, but now, the RAM in in correctly, but when I try to boot up, it beeps approximately 40 times very rapidly, too rapidly to count accurately, waits a couple seconds and repeats, there are also 4 LEDs on, the LEDs are red-orange-green-green. I don't know why it is doing this but I need help ASAP.
    BTW, I tried booting with the older RAM I was previously using yet the same thing happened.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all no one [other than you] has any idea what hardware you are running. Post ALL of your exact system specs; ie exact motherboard, exact ram, exact pw supply, etc, etc. Do not post "500W pw supply" Post the exact brand and model# Do that for ALL of your parts. If this is a big box system; ie dell, hp, whatever, post the exact brand, model# and service tag#
    If you used a moderate amount of force, you could have damaged the motherboard.

How to properly install ram;
    1 System OFF, pull the pw cord from the back of the pw supply
    2 Press the ON button 2~3 times. This removes any residual charge from the pw supply capacitors
    3 Open the case and pull the ram. Install new ram and be sure it is fully seated
    4 Replace pw cord and pw ON. If all is well, shutdown and replace the side cover

Failure to follow the above procedure can result in ESD to the system.

3. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Are these on the front or back of the computer?
    What labels are with the lights - yes, it is important.

4. HUNGRYBOY40

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You did what?

6. HUNGRYBOY40

Everything correctly when installing RAM, the motherboard did not sustain any damage.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That is not possible that you did everything correctly. If so, the system would boot with the old ram installed.

8. HUNGRYBOY40

When it wouldn't work with the new RAM, I tried with the old RAM, but it does the same thing. The BIOS beeps rapidly around 40 times with the Phase LEDs on, it will either power off, or wait a few seconds and repeat, after powering off, it will power back on and do the same until I turn it off at the back.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You either broke something OR perhaps have some dust in the ram slot. With the system OFF and pw cord removed, open the case and pull the ram out. Blow out the slot or slots with a can of air. Install the known working ram. Be sure the ram is fully seated. Clear cmos with the clear jumper for a minimum of 10 seconds. Replace jumper. Now replace the pw cord and pw ON and see if it works. If the system still will not POST, then you know your broke something. You will need to swap parts with working units ie motherboard, pw supply, etc.

10. HUNGRYBOY40

If that were the problem, I doubt it would beep rapidly so many times with the Phase LEDs on, but I will try it.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Either you broke something or knocked something loose; really there is no other possibility. It worked before you messed with it and not now. It must be something you did or knocked something loose like a pw connection or whatever.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW it beeps because the motherboard has detected a problem. Most likely a ram problem since that was the part you changed however it is also possible that you knocked a card loose, pw connection, etc.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1209930

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice